Problem with mileage bulb - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 306
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-05-14, 09:42 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Problem with mileage bulb

Hello all.

First time poster but tearing my hair out with the electrical issues with my Pug 306 1.9 TD (T Reg)

I replaced the bulbs in the speedo/mileometer/clock etc about 3-4 weeks ago, until last week they where fine...now the mileage bulb has gone, then a few days later came on, then upon restarting its gone again.

On top of the common Pug faults such as central locking not working or if it does it locks then unlocks (I changed battery in receiver then re-paired but worked only for a few minutes then gave up)

Sometimes the interior light comes on when door opens, then other times it wont, same as the light warning beep telling you that your headlights are still on whilst trying to exit vehicle, it beeps sometimes, then it doesnt others..

I have no idea whats going on, I am no car genius either so I apologise if im easily confused but I have nowhere else I can share my problem without shelling out money on an old car I bought a couple of months ago just as a run around, but with my MOT due next month I want to avoid a pricey test.

Please help, thanks!
Spandecks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-05-14, 09:53 AM   #2
Inactive User

Are the speedo bulbs those little ones with a crimped glass end and the wires outside the glass? These are well known for making poor connections. Take the 'dead' ones out and check that the wires on the bulb haven't become too flattened against the glass. Also try and clean the bulb holder with a little piece of emery. Persist and you'll sort it.

With regard to the interior light; check and see if it fails to light with one particular door. This would indicate an intermittent switch fault for that door, possibly a poor connection. If it doesn't work with any door, check the manual on/off switch on the light. If it comes on with this, you probably have a common wiring problem, which would be more tricky. It's really a process of elimination and take things step by step.
andy308sw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-05-14, 09:57 AM   #3
Inactive User

Yeah they are, they sit just fine but may give it a go at cleaning as I'm hoping it's just a quick fix and is weird how it just decided to give up and come back on when feels like it. The driver side door is the one with the wiring issue, I can unlock all doors with key, when trying from passenger door it opens all but drivers side. So I know there is a fault there but whether it's a fault in the hinge or a bit more in depth is the question. My main concern in the bulb for now as my MOT coming up.

Thank you for your time
Spandecks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 27-05-14, 10:38 AM   #4
pr1vatepiles

On my 306, one of the big connectors in back has broken solder. Caused intermittent working off all the bulbs. Might be something to check.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-05-14, 06:56 PM   #5

I used to repair fruit machines that used hundreds of these kind of bulbs. Many times the cause of a bulb failing to light up was the contacts in the bulb holder needed closing together using a small screwdriver. The cantacts had simply been pushed open for so long they lost their springiness and failed to make a good contact on the wire contacts on the bulb.

As andy308sw has said, the interior light and lights left on warning issues are likely to be down to the door open switch. If it is intermittent then sometimes everything works but other times it fails to operate when the door is opened so no interior light or lightleft on / keys still in the ignition warnings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in