power steering pump... - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 306
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-02-15, 03:29 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default power steering pump...

I have a 1868 306 with a DW8 engine, no air con. The car eats alternator belts every 8-10,000 miles.I have changed all the idler and tensioner pulleys, and the crank pulley. There is a difference in alignment between the pas pump and the alternator, suggesting one or the other.
In my quest, it has been suggested that if the pas pump has been replaced at some time with the ircorrect version, this could be the reson for the pulley being out of alignment...
My problem now becomes the part is available from France, for 316.....more than the car is worth.
Can anyone suggest how to correctly identify the correct pump for this engine, or know where I can find a suitable replacement. Peugeot tell me there is only 1 pump used on the dw8, but am I right in thinking this engine was used in several different models?

Thanks
clivethompso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-02-15, 03:31 PM   #2
Inactive User

Hi,

Withouth the vin to be exact, i believe its this one. (listed against a DW8 engine)

Feel free to advise the vin and i'll run it through..

spanner-uk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-02-15, 05:22 PM   #3
Inactive User

Default vin

...reg no is V397 JHW can you id the vin from this?

are the pumps stamped with a number so I can identify them?

Thanks for your help so far....much appreciated!

clive

Old 19-02-15, 09:34 AM   #4
Inactive User

I cannot ascertain your VIN from the reg unfortunately due to security. (Cloning etc)

I'm sceptical of this having a part number but i could be wrong.

If you can locate your VIN (on the car or V5C Doc), i can have a look on Service Box and advise whats listed.
spanner-uk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-02-15, 11:40 AM   #5

I had the same problem after fitting a PAS pump.The pulley is pressed on the pump shaft and if its done by a cheepo recon outfit it may be out of line.
I suppose the only way to be sure of the correct pump is pay out for a Peugeot dealer one.(if they are still available?).
As for factors I`ve found GSF to be good at supplying quality O/E Peugeot parts.They show a pump with a 114mm pulley for 119.70.
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-02-15, 10:39 PM   #6
Inactive User

Default so I may not be alone

in this problem then?

I have a second hand pump coming, Ill offer it up, see if it lines up, then if not try some surgery to get the thing aligned! its either going to be a hammer job to drift the shaft through, or shaving some metal from the lugs to allow it nearer the wing....whatever happens, I've had enough of losing belts, hoping they don't go the same way the first one did.....around the crank pulley, making the pump to jump 7 teeth, and taking out the vacuum pump lug....all on the motorway.... Oh the joys of motoring...this is what it used to be like, in the good old days!
Old 28-02-15, 03:57 PM   #7
Inactive User

As far as I can remember most of the pumps used were all pretty much the same, it was the pulleys that were different.

It's possible to remove the pulley and fit a different size one, I've done it a couple of times.

You need to pull the pulley off and press it on, don't hammer it as you WILL damage the pump (knock the back out of it)

To get the pulley off...

you will need a puller that fits the pulley and pulls against the centre shaft. Maybe one of those 2 or 3 legged pullers would do the job...I'm not sure as I cobbled together a contraption to use as a puller.

Pressing the pulley back on...

The centre shaft has an internal thread, so it's just a case of getting a bolt or a piece of threaded rod to fit this and using a big socket with a nut behind it to push (pull) the pulley onto the shaft.

If using a pump from a different car the fluid return pipe on the pump may be at the wrong angle, this can be turned as it's just a push fit into the pump with an O ring seal.

Hope this helps

Cheers.

Last edited by Toady; 01-03-15 at 08:41 AM.
Toady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in