Peugeot 306 hdi rear calipers - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 306
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-12-14, 04:52 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Peugeot 306 hdi rear calipers

Hi there was hopping for some help ive replaced my rear calipers for new ones plus replaced both handbrake cables but now i have a problem the passengers left caliper grips better than the drivers side this only happens when using handbrake i know the left grips better than the right cos when i had the rear end off of the floor i always spin the wheels and when handbrake is aplyed i can still move the right wheel ive rechecked everything i have done and cannot seen anything wrong
Bosch1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-12-14, 05:08 PM   #2

When you screw pistons back they must be turned till the slots are horizontal in the caliper body to allow adjuster to work if it has a line carved into piston this goes at top.

Also if the cables are too tight the adjusters do not work there should be a little free play in cables as the levers must fully retract to allow adjuster to work.
Old 19-12-14, 05:17 PM   #3
Inactive User

could i have lined the pistons up wrong with the pads the pads on mine have a notch and according to the haynes book this sits in the groove of the pistion

or could i have put the pad with the notch facing the pistion wrongly but ment to be facing other way cos i only wind the pistion back enough to get pad in and line notch up

Last edited by Bosch1; 19-12-14 at 05:39 PM.

Old 19-12-14, 06:01 PM   #4

If the notch on the inner pad is located in the slot in the piston that is correct.

You say new calipers and cables,what about the pads and discs? let us presume the pads are new and the discs are in good condition and not pitted or scored??

Assuming you agree with the above and have double checked everything.

Slacken the handbrake adjuster right off and ensure the levers on the calipers are right back to the stops.Then go for a good "bed in" run,pumping the brakes many times.This will ensure the pads are bedded into the discs and the caliper pistons have fully adjusted.

Then re-adjust the cables correctly.
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-12-14, 06:08 PM   #5
Inactive User

why would the pads have the notch on them

ok thank you i will give this ago and let you know the out come
Old 19-12-14, 07:47 PM   #6

The pads do indeed have a locating lug in them but if the piston has a second line carved in it it must go to the top you might have it upside down but cables too tight is more likely.

I just done an espace handbrake was useless the calipers had been wound in but the slots not lined up screwed them in properly new pads loosened off the cables and levers all fine now but I did have to do as above and bed them in.

I have no idea WHY the pistons need to be aligned but they do as otherwise the adjuster does not adjust.
Old 20-12-14, 03:00 PM   #7

Not sure what you mean reliable?? all the Bendix calipers I`ve worked with look like this.
Attached Thumbnails
img002.jpg  
Old 20-12-14, 06:51 PM   #8
Inactive User

That the same as my caliper myself and brother inlaw looked at it today and we have found that when we pull the handbrake up we can hear the handbrake arm on the caliper click so we,re guessing its not working properly we have checked the other side and it does not make this sound looks like the handbrake does not hold on how it should see the bit that pushes the pistion when you aply the handbrake
Attached Thumbnails
wp_20141221_006.jpg  

Last edited by Bosch1; 21-12-14 at 02:46 PM.
Old 22-12-14, 08:35 AM   #9

Bosch, is that an image of the caliper you have fitted???
if so its an old second hand one and the protective rubber gaiter is missing,no wonder its not working properly.
I thought we were talking about a nice new one that looks like this.
Attached Thumbnails
img003.jpg  
Old 22-12-14, 04:19 PM   #10
Inactive User

i had taken the rubber gaiter off to show what is the problem when i aply the handbrake this caliper doesnt grip or hold when i pull the handbrake up you hear a clicking noise from caliper i think the arm that pushes the pistion in as worn or could be top of the pistion as you can see in the image theres a slot on the pistion and iam thinking when you aply handbrake the arm should push and hold the pistion in so the pistion should push the pads onto disc and hold it from rolling but it doesnt hold if you get what i mean

could i get the pistion and the handbrake leaver for the caliper or would it be best to just replace caliper

Last edited by Bosch1; 22-12-14 at 04:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in