Is my 306 working good? And some maintanance questions. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 306
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-09-16, 07:14 AM   #1

Default Is my 306 working good? And some maintanance questions.

Hi all,

Just got a 306 few days ago. It's a 1996, 1.4 (75hp). It appears to be very well preserved one. All electronics work, including the electric sunroof.

I'm planning on changing the oil and the timing belt. The suspension and the brakes need some work, but that could wait for now. I want to replace as many things as possible by myself but I'm not sure what kind of tools I would need. For the oil, I've chosen Total 15W40 4L. How often should I change it. 10K km?

To stay on topic, I'm worried about the working temperature. It gets to about 90-95C in a few minutes in traffic even though its ~10C outside. The engine seems to be working best at 85-90C. It also seems to be bouncing between 1100 RPM while colder and 900 RPM while hot at idle. Is that normal?

Also tires! I'm thinking of getting 2 winter and 2 summer tires for the front. 2 all season tires for the back. The size is 175/70 R13. Would that be a good idea?

Last question would is about gears. I've been driving for about 3 years now. I've noticed I change gears at quite low RPMs. Mostly at about 1500 - 2000 / 2500. It feels right to me, but it seems cars like higher RPM most of the time. My father revs really high and its seems that the car likes it better. What would be decent suggestion for a 20 year old 306?
Xzahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-09-16, 09:32 AM   #2

I change the oil every 6 months or every 6000 miles.

If you want to change the belt, make sure you change the water pump and tensioner at the same time. Also make sure you have suitable tools for the job (ie. tools or contraptions for the timing).

90 deg is a good operating temp, 95 is OK too, but you don't want to be much higher than that for prolonged periods.

If you're doing the timing belt and replacing the pump (recommended), then you may as well change the thermostat and temp sensor at the same time. You'd need to drain the coolant, so it makes sense to renew these parts, it may help with your temperature queries.

~800rpm is normal idle speed - it is often higher when cold so that the engine warms up quicker.

I change gears at 1,800 - 2,000 rpm. Personally, I don't see the need to rev beyond this point, as I feel power normally drops off after 2k. Whether there's any truth behind that, I'm not 100%, but that's what it feels like. On my 2.0hdi 307, 1.8-2k rpm was my gear change spot, but on my 1.5dci Megane it's a bit lower.

My missus revs up to about 4000rpm or even higher, and it makes me cringe.

I suppose it also depends on the road, traffic conditions, the individual car.

You'll get used to the car after a couple of weeks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-16, 03:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymarsbar View Post

I change gears at 1,800 - 2,000 rpm. Personally, I don't see the need to rev beyond this point, as I feel power normally drops off after 2k. Whether there's any truth behind that, I'm not 100%, but that's what it feels like. On my 2.0hdi 307, 1.8-2k rpm was my gear change spot, but on my 1.5dci Megane it's a bit lower.

My missus revs up to about 4000rpm or even higher, and it makes me cringe.

I suppose it also depends on the road, traffic conditions, the individual car.
Every engine is different and each model has its own sweet spot, and with all the 306 2.0 XSi 16v petrol cars I have owned that sweet spot was 3500 to 4000 revs, and occasionally 5000 when performing a swift, decisive overtaking manoeuvre. The one 8v XSi model I owned, had the torque lower down the power band and I did not need to rev it hard to get the performance from it.
Ego Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in