engine fans not working as they should! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 306
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-06-14, 07:22 AM   #1
Inactive User

Question engine fans not working as they should!

306 estate 1.8 16v with working a/c on an X only 63400 on the clock
Hi all,

I hope someone can steer me in the right direction to resolve this problem.

I have notice when in traffic the temp gauge gets almost to the red, then only one of the fans cut in at high speed. Engine temp is fine when driving on open roads.

I have checked all of the fuses and relays. Fuse are intacked and the relays make a nice click when 12v is put across them. I also checked if i get a connection to the other pins on the relays, i do. I have changed the brown and the green temp sensors. If i unplug the brown one i get one fan on all of the time (drivers side) if i plug the brown back on and turn in the ac i get the same fan popping on and off every 30secs or so.

I have also removed the fan relays and wired across the supplies from the relay sockets and can get the passenger side fan to come on, both fans to come on and at different speeds.

I have removed the bitron box (ppe-gf10 9633609780 cctup5/bvm2) can this be the problem? can i test this at all? what should i be getting at the pins?

could this be down to a broken wire? or more doom and gloom is it going to be the ecu?

Any help would be great
g717xnm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-14, 01:49 PM   #2
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by g717xnm View Post
306 estate 1.8 16v with working a/c on an X only 63400 on the clock
Hi all,

I hope someone can steer me in the right direction to resolve this problem.

I have notice when in traffic the temp gauge gets almost to the red, then only one of the fans cut in at high speed. Engine temp is fine when driving on open roads.

I have checked all of the fuses and relays. Fuse are intacked and the relays make a nice click when 12v is put across them. I also checked if i get a connection to the other pins on the relays, i do. I have changed the brown and the green temp sensors. If i unplug the brown one i get one fan on all of the time (drivers side) if i plug the brown back on and turn in the ac i get the same fan popping on and off every 30secs or so.

I have also removed the fan relays and wired across the supplies from the relay sockets and can get the passenger side fan to come on, both fans to come on and at different speeds.

I have removed the bitron box (ppe-gf10 9633609780 cctup5/bvm2) can this be the problem? can i test this at all? what should i be getting at the pins?

could this be down to a broken wire? or more doom and gloom is it going to be the ecu?

Any help would be great
Check the main cabling junction in front of car not sure were its place in your motor,
Mine by off side wing and joint is under rads on cross member,
this is a multipoint connector and subject to pin corrosion if not sealed wiring for fans and lights, some sensors, and earth points all run via this link , I was puzzle by my intermittent fans prob as well
took half front car apart as some of the fan relay [3 of them] set on my pug 306 ESTATE v REG, is right in front of rad in middle inside a water proof box under bonnet catch , [well suppose to be water proof cant see it my shelf :}] any way decided to remove wiring from front of car to check looms ,the cabling junction inside was like a lump of green fungus and good pull on each wire in socket,
show they corroded almost all way through,
Well cut off main loom end and replace it with same type of junction got from scrap yard,
Same 306 and yr and they had done the work for me as they had replaced the same joint with a new junction connector and front loom just before they scraped it, I cut off my old junction re-join wires with solder and shrink-wrap them rubber bonding tape over whole lot never been bother again by fans not working again and lights seem to double in brightness, and all the front sensors now seem to work as well , check it out ,
liondad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-14, 07:39 AM   #3

Have a look on pug306.net - radiators and fans are covered quite often and there are more active 306 owners on there than here.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in