bROKEN TIMING BELT - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 306
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-08-17, 11:20 AM   #1

Default bROKEN TIMING BELT

My 2006 Peugeot 307 with the 1.6 litre engine Died yesterday. A jack-hammer noise came from outside, the motor conked out, RACQ tilt tray took me home. Car has 177k on it - timing belt was replaced at 100k. I think I've done a timing belt. So, has this happened to anybody else? If so, do the pistons hit the valves? It's a lovely car, We'd love to keep it. We bought it second-hand with 18k on it. What price to repair worst case scenario? Should we just ring the wrecker to tow it away? I've quite a lot of experience with engine building of classic and 'not so classic' car engines, so feasible to re-build if that's the case. Although I'm thinking parts prices may shoot me down. Any ideas out there?
muzzagod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-08-17, 11:40 AM   #2

I presume its a petrol engine? if so a broken cambelt on this 16V engine means bent valves,lots of them.
Very difficult to price the job until its stripped down. For sure it will need a cylinder head overhaul (or a second hand head complete),cambelt pulley kit and waterpump,gaskets etc,and about 10 hours labour?,not a cheap job.
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-08-17, 03:26 PM   #3

Cheapest option in uk is a replacement used head i sell lots of them as its quicker just to fit a good used head than replace at least 8 valves.

Basically this is assuming its a NFU or TU5JP4 engine if so it will not damage the pistons just the valves so until its stripped down you wont know how many it needs i have seen them only do 2 valves but they can do all 16 !!

They can also damage the cam pulleys at the same time

Old 17-08-17, 01:39 AM   #4

Default Timing belt

Thanks guys. Yeah, getting in prices now. One company won't give me warranty unless I get the radiator and water pump replaced as well. I can understand their thinking. But doesn't help me much.
muzzagod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in