Brake Disc eating machine - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 306
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-14, 08:00 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Brake Disc eating machine

Hi All,

Ive had my 306 hdi meridian 90 the past 3 years. Its great and I very rarely have any problems with it. However, it does seem to eat through front discs. I changed them when I had the car (116000 on the clock) but I have had to change them once already and now it seems the judder is back and I need a new set. I have not gone for the cheap and cheerful discs (mintex) so don't know what could be causing this high rate of wear. I do mostly town driving and have only put 20,000 on it in the past 3 years. Needing 3 sets in 3 years does seem excessive!!!!

Is it a common problem with my model? Or could it be something else?
Nmt28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-14, 08:05 PM   #2
Ginger Magic

It does seem a bit excessive, but in the 306's defence town driving means more braking and less time between to cool down. When hot brakes hit cold puddles then the warping happens much easier - its not like this country to rain much is it...

This is the only thing I can think of, unless you are Michael Schumacher?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-14, 06:39 AM   #3

You could try to source some drilled and grooved Discs if you can find any

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40

like this maybe

Last edited by Jagn; 08-07-14 at 06:43 AM.
Jagn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-14, 07:33 AM   #4

I've drove lots of 306s round town and never had a problem with the brakes.

I was speaking to another forummer yesterday with a similar problem on his 307 and he said it might be related to the power steering.
Old 08-07-14, 08:48 AM   #5
Inactive User

Default brake wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmt28 View Post
Hi All,

Ive had my 306 hdi meridian 90 the past 3 years. Its great and I very rarely have any problems with it. However, it does seem to eat through front discs. I changed them when I had the car (116000 on the clock) but I have had to change them once already and now it seems the judder is back and I need a new set. I have not gone for the cheap and cheerful discs (mintex) so don't know what could be causing this high rate of wear. I do mostly town driving and have only put 20,000 on it in the past 3 years. Needing 3 sets in 3 years does seem excessive!!!!

Is it a common problem with my model? Or could it be something else?
Yea you not alone, I too have PUG 306 glx hdi 90 for last 12yrs,
and replacement brakes pads /disc's front are service part at about 12k miles, and rear brakes pads 17k miles rear disc's last about 25k miles I don't do more then 10/14 k miles year ,
We have a large heavy lump of an hdi engine in front sub frame, and is centred over front wheels ,
and this may be a factor and braking is very good in relationship to mass of car,
so good braking = high wear on pads and disc's on front, with rear pads and disks not far behind, brake's
also these type of hdi 306 pugs seem a be rough on clutch's, cables,
been there as well, :}
liondad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-14, 04:25 PM   #6
Inactive User

OK - it may just be the weight of the engine at the front. Ive seen similar posts that mention power steering and callipers etc but it doesn't bother me enough to get any serious mechanical work done. I was more just wondering if it is a known fault with this model. Guess, I'l just have to keep changing them...
Nmt28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-14, 08:13 PM   #7
chopper1192

1. Clean calipers thoroughly.

2. Fit New guide pins.

3. Use your handbrake when stationary.

Your discs will not now warp.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-14, 07:59 AM   #8

David Ireland used to say that you shouldn't hold your car with the brake pedal when stationary - the heat from the pads affect the disc.
Old 10-07-14, 09:55 AM   #9

I replaced my discs about 5 years ago and only on my 3 set of pads and ive been told am hard on my brakes lol, what I would do is what chopper says
it wont cost much to replace the slider pins as mine was binding on one side I caught on to this rather quick so was lucky I think, the discs are due a change so I will be going for mintex again
CMax_307 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in