Battery charging using the cigarette lighter point - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 306
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-14, 11:24 AM   #1

Default Battery charging using the cigarette lighter point

My garage parking is such that I have to drive in so close to the left side the passenger door cannot open, there isn't room for both doors to be used, so I can't get to the bonnet release catch located inside the door opening.

The other week I had not used the car for a few days and when starting it turned over slowly, a sign of not being charging enough or the battery getting weak.
The situation is bound to happen where the battery has gone down so much the car won't start ( diesel). perhaps an interior light left on.

I can't open the passenger door to release the bonnet catch, although I understand others have managed to find a fitter who knows what he is doing with a very long screwdriver to release the catch from the front grill.

I wondered if it was feasible to charge the battery through the cigarette point, the ignition would have to be switched on to do this, it should not take many minutes to put in sufficient to get started. ( and then of course buy a new battery ! ) Has anyone also had this problem ?

Last edited by westmoors; 10-10-14 at 11:27 AM.
westmoors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-14, 12:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmoors View Post
My garage parking is such that I have to drive in so close to the left side the passenger door cannot open, there isn't room for both doors to be used, so I can't get to the bonnet release catch located inside the door opening.

The other week I had not used the car for a few days and when starting it turned over slowly, a sign of not being charging enough or the battery getting weak.
The situation is bound to happen where the battery has gone down so much the car won't start ( diesel). perhaps an interior light left on.

I can't open the passenger door to release the bonnet catch, although I understand others have managed to find a fitter who knows what he is doing with a very long screwdriver to release the catch from the front grill.

I wondered if it was feasible to charge the battery through the cigarette point, the ignition would have to be switched on to do this, it should not take many minutes to put in sufficient to get started. ( and then of course buy a new battery ! ) Has anyone also had this problem ?
why not reach over from the drivers side to release the bonnet
Gibbo and pr1vatepiles like this.
Old 10-10-14, 12:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
why not reach over from the drivers side to release the bonnet
The passenger door needs to be open to access the bonnet release as it's located on the hinge plate and, as the OP says, there isn't room to open the passenger door.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1.6THP GTLine EAT6 Leather+Grip+ACC+O&G+Smart Boot

Last edited by mooi1uk; 10-10-14 at 12:25 PM.
mooi1uk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-14, 01:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooi1uk View Post
The passenger door needs to be open to access the bonnet release as it's located on the hinge plate and, as the OP says, there isn't room to open the passenger door.
Thanks mooi1 I forgot to mention that fact, I suppose it's because it's a French car it's put on that side for left hand drive vehicles, but why they could not mount the bonnet release inside the car under the parcel shelf as with most makes of car is a mystery it would have made more sense, it would not have mattered which side it was fitted then. I suppose we are supposed to just shrug our shoulders and say 'That's the French for you' ! ! !
mooi1uk likes this.
westmoors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-14, 01:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmoors View Post
Thanks mooi1 I forgot to mention that fact, I suppose it's because it's a French car it's put on that side for left hand drive vehicles, but why they could not mount the bonnet release inside the car under the parcel shelf as with most makes of car is a mystery it would have made more sense, it would not have mattered which side it was fitted then. I suppose we are supposed to just shrug our shoulders and say 'That's the French for you' ! ! !
I quite agree, I have the same trouble in my garage with my 3008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-10-14, 05:00 PM   #6

Which ever side its mounted you still have to open it on the second safety catch from the front pull catch from inside before putting it in the garage (via left door ) drive in then open bonnet from front in normal manner Sorted
trem1 likes this.
Old 10-10-14, 05:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagn View Post
Which ever side its mounted you still have to open it on the second safety catch from the front pull catch from inside before putting it in the garage (via left door ) drive in then open bonnet from front in normal manner Sorted
Trouble is, if it's already in the garage and the battery is too flat to start the engine, you need to pop the bonnet to access the battery. I think this is the problem here.

Old 10-10-14, 05:34 PM   #8

Release the handbrake and push it out enough to open the door. If the garage floor is level (not seen a garage that hasn't got a level floor) and if the run up to the door is level then shouldn't be too much trouble. If the run up to the door is a rising slope then it may be tricky though.

storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-14, 05:38 PM   #9

If you have an OBDII/diags connector in car you can charge via that without need for ign being on, or can you push car back to get under front you may be able to get charger on battery to starter solenoid lead bolt to charge
Old 10-10-14, 06:40 PM   #10

Location is the same on the 208, I guess it's just their preferred location for the release lever for the time being. I think you can trickle charge via the cigarette lighter plug but it would take a long time. I know of someone who leaves a small solar panel plugged into his car when he is travelling to avoid any issues (often away for a few weeks at a time and he leaves it on the dash). Maybe if you are having issues, its time for a new battery??
britinbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in