306XT - Stiff/Locked Brakes - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 306
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-10-14, 12:34 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 306XT - Stiff/Locked Brakes

After driving a few Kms the brake pedal gets very stiff and the brakes lock. If left for approx. 30 mins things are OK until driven a few more Kms.
The brakes have been bled - no difference. When pedal has gone stiff I've disconnected the hose from manifold to servo, (to release pressure?) - no difference. There appear to be no leaks around the master cylinder so I'm guessing at the master cylinder being faulty.
Any other suggestions or things I can check.

All help much appreciated.
Airforce001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-10-14, 06:29 PM   #2

make absolutely sure the pedal is coming all the way UP...
has a return spring ,on the brake pedal, come off perhaps??
it sounds like the pedal is a little down and not releasing the pressure/fluid when you release the pedal ..
if so, the brake system drags the pads onto the discs & gets the discs hot, the fluid expands more, but if the pedals not fully off ,the compressed fluid can't release as its got nowhere to go...
and so it goes on ....
worth a check -hopefully something nice n simple like this
good luck
neil
just another thought ''the pistons aren't partially seized in the calipers''?
can you push them back in easily ,when you do try and rotate the pistons as you go.
if you can get some red rubber grease(halfords or ebay etc) as this is the only thing compatible to brake fluid(and before you wind the pistons in pull aside the rubber piston gaiter and smear a little on the piston ,so when it al goes back it'll move easier in future too

Last edited by NeilH; 31-10-14 at 06:36 PM.
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-10-14, 10:48 PM   #3
Inactive User

Cheers NeilH,
The brake pedal is at the top of its travel when it gets stiff/solid. I've checked linkages and all OK. When first starting the brakes and pedal are fine (if a little soft). After a few Kms of start stop driving the pedal gets progressively stiffer and the brakes start to bind/lock on. It's as if the pressure is not releasing but the pedal itself is at the top of travel and even with full weight on the pedal it doesn't move. When left for about 30mins the brakes have released and the pedal is back to normal. A few more Kms of start/stop driving and brakes lock and pedal is rock solid at the top of its travel.
Airforce001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-14, 12:43 PM   #4

the reason i mentioned the pedal being 'at the top' is this same thing happened years ago on a rover p6 my brother owned and thats exactly what it was...
so you cant get a toe under and physically lift it any more?

really you need to be sure nothing is binding because its already seized ,
so one wheel at a time ,jack it up and turn each wheel to be sure its not locked up or seized(even a little bit),the pads can get sticky where they touch the calipers and rust...i'd have each wheel off, in turn to be sure that mechanically its all good
lots to look at before you get any further.
first check the brakes are free before you even start it and go for a drive...

another approach is get it all locked up and THEN whip a front wheel off and see if the fluid will bleed out of the nipple and release the brakes..
nei
ps it helps to give a location in your left margin so people local to you can offer help when possible/appropriate
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in