306 rear brake lights - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 306
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-05-18, 12:39 AM   #1

Default 306 rear brake lights

Hello everyone from sunny New Zealand

We have recently purchased a 1994 306. The rear brake lights seem odd. The one at the top of the hatch comes on, but nothing from the rear lights. I note that they do come on when we turn on the headlights. Looks like the bulb has two filaments in it, but only one works - is it designed to that they both come on under braking?

Also if a fuse is blown (and I've checked the ones under the steering wheel) how on earth do I open the fuse box under the bonnet?

Any help most appreciated!

Cheers,
Adam.
madadnz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-05-18, 11:43 AM   #2

The two filament bulb is known as a "stop and tail" type.

One filament lights up to give rear lights, the other when braking.
Old 15-05-18, 02:59 PM   #3

Hi...double check the bulbs and then check the brake light switch...I think thats on the brake pedal housing..it may be stuck in or failed...
noddy-hol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 15-05-18, 11:46 PM   #4

Hey thanks for the help, I have bought new bulbs but still not joy.

Interestingly the window brake light comes on when the brake is engaged, which suggests that the switch is ok, correct? Therefore must be something in between that's not working?

I will see if I can check for current on the wires going to the bulb and diagnose further..

Also, how on earth do I get the fuse box in the engine compartment open? It's got a bunch of plugs attached to the outside and doesn't seem to want to open..

Cheers!
madadnz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-05-18, 04:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by madadnz View Post
Hello everyone from sunny New Zealand
You mean howling wind and horizontal rain...

Not sure about the 306 fuse box but others have clips on the side you have to depress to pull the upper part up so you can get to the main fuses underneath. But the fuses for the brake lights and other lighting will be in the car under the dash. The ones in the engine bay are the large main fuses for general supply, not for the small individual items.

If the high level light is working, probably not a fuse though, nor brake light switch. Check the plugs with a multimeter and see if you are getting voltage at the appropriate wire when pressing the brake pedal.

Check the images here in google search, might help you find what you are looking for. https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=pe...w=1920&bih=874
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-05-18, 04:38 AM   #6

Ok, see yours is a really early model, try this link but you will need your vin number to choose the right one.. Peugeotlogic.com Home
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in