306 car key mystery?!? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 306
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-04-19, 03:50 PM   #1

Default 306 car key mystery?!?

My Y-reg (no spring chicken!) 306 remote car key casings had become worn out, to the point that the 'open'/'close' buttons no longer worked due to 'plastic fatigue'.

So I bought a new casing from a fellow on eBay and received it yesterday. Apart from the absence of the Peugeot lion on the back, the casing was identical to the old ones, only new and with functioning buttons.

I 'transplanted' the cut key (metal), as well as the little electronic bit+3027 battery, without any problems. Checking, the remote control worked perfectly for both opening and shutting, as expected. I thought no more about it.

Then, this morning, she opened again normally with the 'new' key but the car wouldn't start for love nor money. She cranks over enthusiastically but doesn't catch, which makes me think the problem is fuel supply - immobiliser?

Reverting back to the old key, now empty of all electronics, she started without problems! I've since switched back and forth between both keys several times and it's clear: one (new) serves as remote but can't ignite the engine, the other (old) does not work remotely but has no problem igniting the engine!

Does anyone have the slightest idea what might be going on here?
Blogfast25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-04-19, 03:57 PM   #2

have a close look in the old case and you may find a small chip that needs to be fitted in your new case
mooi1uk likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007.. 407swgt...2018..3008 1.6 thp gt line auto...owned most models since 1985...phew..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
noddy-hol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-04-19, 04:00 PM   #3

This has been covered many times on here, do a search. The best answer is that there is a tiny immobiliser chip that's been left inside the old key case, look inside very carefully as it's a tiny chip! This must be transferred to the new case or the car will not start.
noddy-hol likes this.

1.6THP GTLine EAT6 Leather+Grip+ACC+O&G+Smart Boot
mooi1uk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 27-04-19, 04:19 PM   #4

lets hope you did not dispose of old case because it has a small black chip inside for immobiliser as said above
mooi1uk likes this.
Old 27-04-19, 09:29 PM   #5

People really are their own worst enemy if you had done some research BEFORE fixing your key your car would not be broken
Old 29-04-19, 01:23 PM   #6

Thank you all!

Found the "chip" (looks more like a small magnet to me) in the old key. After transplanting, all is now well.

The "chip" is a small, rectangular piece of unmarked metal (with a corner cut off, it seems), tucked into the side of the case with the logo on and close to the end of the metal key.

Thanks again!
Ego Shredder and mooi1uk like this.
Old 29-04-19, 01:31 PM   #7

Its ok we all know what the chip looks like its not metal its carbon you do not need to replace the whole case i just fit the bit that has the new button this avoids your issue.
Old 29-04-19, 01:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogfast25 View Post
Thank you all!

Found the "chip" (looks more like a small magnet to me) in the old key. After transplanting, all is now well.

The "chip" is a small, rectangular piece of unmarked metal (with a corner cut off, it seems), tucked into the side of the case with the logo on and close to the end of the metal key.

Thanks again!
Good for you mate, glad you got it sorted!
Blogfast25 likes this.

1.6THP GTLine EAT6 Leather+Grip+ACC+O&G+Smart Boot
mooi1uk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-04-19, 02:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Its ok we all know what the chip looks like its not metal its carbon you do not need to replace the whole case i just fit the bit that has the new button this avoids your issue.
Ermmm...no. 'we' don't all know: I for one didn't! I included the description for future searchers that may find this thread. And in my case the key case had been battered so badly that only a complete replacement would do.
Ego Shredder likes this.
Old 29-04-19, 02:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooi1uk View Post
Good for you mate, glad you got it sorted!
Thanks again!
Ego Shredder and noddy-hol like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in