Peugeot Forums banner

306 car key mystery?!?

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  carkeyssolution 
#1 ·
My Y-reg (no spring chicken!) 306 remote car key casings had become worn out, to the point that the 'open'/'close' buttons no longer worked due to 'plastic fatigue'.

So I bought a new casing from a fellow on eBay and received it yesterday. Apart from the absence of the Peugeot lion on the back, the casing was identical to the old ones, only new and with functioning buttons.

I 'transplanted' the cut key (metal), as well as the little electronic bit+3027 battery, without any problems. Checking, the remote control worked perfectly for both opening and shutting, as expected. I thought no more about it.

Then, this morning, she opened again normally with the 'new' key but the car wouldn't start for love nor money. She cranks over enthusiastically but doesn't catch, which makes me think the problem is fuel supply - immobiliser?

Reverting back to the old key, now empty of all electronics, she started without problems! I've since switched back and forth between both keys several times and it's clear: one (new) serves as remote but can't ignite the engine, the other (old) does not work remotely but has no problem igniting the engine!

Does anyone have the slightest idea what might be going on here?

See less See more
#3 ·
This has been covered many times on here, do a search. The best answer is that there is a tiny immobiliser chip that's been left inside the old key case, look inside very carefully as it's a tiny chip! This must be transferred to the new case or the car will not start.

#14 ·
Do you need duplicate keys for your vehicles?
Car Keys Solution Melbourne is here to help you with this problem. If you have lost your car keys and looking for duplicate car keys in Melbourne, we deliver the best identical car keys at low prices. We have experienced, certified and qualified experts in our teams who have exceptional skills and follow specialized professional attitudes towards their work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.