2.0 HDI cutting out. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 306
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-08-17, 01:59 PM   #1

Default 2.0 HDI cutting out.

Hi

I was wondering if someone could help with my 306 2.0 HDI, which has recently started doing the following:

1 Will not rev above 2500 rpm, and sometimes cuts out at this rpm while driving along. When this happens, it will not bump start, the ignition has to be turned off and on again, then the engine starts straight away.

2 The engine runs on for a few seconds after the key is turned off.

The problem started with hesitation at 2500rpm, but it used to recover quickly and then rev normally. Now it just behaves as above.

The 2500rpm figure is very precise, almost behaving like a rev limiter, which makes me think it may be an electical issue. The engine has done over 200,000 miles by the way.

Could anyone point me to the possible causes of this please?

Thanks in advance

Greg
gurrg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-08-17, 02:52 PM   #2

Hi..It sounds like the engine is in limp mode ..that restrics the revs to prevent damage..could be many things..the easy ones to do will be fuel filter/air filter...failing that ,you may need to get some live readings from the engine to determine the fault...
noddy-hol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-08-17, 03:54 PM   #3

Most likely fuel pump related. Possibly not making the pressure requested or too much pressure. Put on planet to see live data. Cleaning the FPR will be a start.
BiGK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 30-08-17, 04:17 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies...What I've done so far: checked air filter, disconnected maf, checked voltages on tps (All seemed ok according to info online). Diesel filter changed a few months ago when it first started playing up. When you say fuel pump do you mean the one in the tank? And where is the FPR located please?
Old 30-08-17, 05:06 PM   #5

Check fuel pressure sensor and its wiring. Running on when switching off is a safety feature when ecu cannot get a fuel pressure reading. It switches off fuel pump but leaves injectors running to ensure fuel rail is depressurised for safety

Not sure if its the same on 306 but 307 2.0 hdi suffers with the loom loosing insulation on the wires behind the starter motor which gives similar symptoms.
Old 30-08-17, 07:33 PM   #6

Hi windy, thanks for that suggestion, it seems quite likely. As the engine has so reliable, I have little experience of working on it. Could you please tell me where the sensor is located, and I'll check it out.

Thanks, Greg
Old 30-08-17, 07:49 PM   #7

It's about 2/3 of the way down the fuel rail with a red plug connected to it. (On a 307 with bosch injection) The red plug is on a fly lead which drops down behind the starter motor and joins to the main loom on a yellow plug.

The lead goes brittle over time and the insulation flakes off and the leads short out to each other and the block. You often get the over running on switch off, what feels like a slight missfire at low revs and often limp mode.

The cable is available from peugeot for not too much money, short term you can just tape up the leads.
Old 30-08-17, 08:52 PM   #8

Great, I will check tomorrow. Thanks to you and everyone who has replied, and any further help would be very welcome.
Old 31-08-17, 05:42 PM   #9

Hi windy

I've taken a picture of a yellow connector which may be the one you mentioned. I can't see where the other end goes-do you think this is the right one? Also, what is the red connector in the picture which seems to be in the low pressure fuel line?

Thanks Greg
Attached Thumbnails
wp_20170831_001rs.jpg  
Old 31-08-17, 05:59 PM   #10

The red plug looks like the correct one it should be screwed into the fuel rail so high pressure.

The yellow plug in the picture is not the right one. The yellow plug you need is by the end of the starter motor (again this assuming same as 307 bosch injection engine)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in