Grip control and 17" wheels - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 3008 > 3008 (2017+)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-18, 04:39 AM   #1

Default Grip control and 17" wheels

Hello everybody and congratulations for choosing the new 3008!!
My car has not arrived (due next month) yet but still trying to inform as much as I can about it.
I have found the e-bay links for accessories , downloaded the user manual and still reading it. My latest concern is about the wheels. I ordered the grip control option and thought it might be a good ideea to use winter tires of 17" for better comfort. But I have read somewhere that the grip control system was designed only for 18" wheels and if I change to 17" wheels the system will have no more efficiency. Can you help me with this? Do you know if this information is correct ? Thank you !
batalion24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-18, 07:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by batalion24 View Post
Hello everybody and congratulations for choosing the new 3008!!
My car has not arrived (due next month) yet but still trying to inform as much as I can about it.
I have found the e-bay links for accessories , downloaded the user manual and still reading it. My latest concern is about the wheels. I ordered the grip control option and thought it might be a good ideea to use winter tires of 17" for better comfort. But I have read somewhere that the grip control system was designed only for 18" wheels and if I change to 17" wheels the system will have no more efficiency. Can you help me with this? Do you know if this information is correct ? Thank you !
Hi, thanks for posting, it sure is an interresting car it is good that you are informing yourself before you actually get it.

Regarding Grip Control, it works with both whell sizes 17" or 18" don't worry about that, I am sure it would have no problems working with 19" also.
What you reffered to above, is partially true, when you order the car with GC system then you automatically get 18" Los Angeles alloys with Continental LX2 summer tyres which have somewhat different thread pattern compared to other summer tyres and are a little bit sturdier. These tyres also carry the M+S mark, but don't be confused they are not winter tyres, they just perform better off road and in muddy terrain compared to plain summer tyres, so I guess because of this they gave them the M+S mark, but they are classified as premium touring summer tyres.
I also have 17" alloys with Michelin winter tyres on my 5008 equiped with Grip Control, and the system works well with those tyres, actually it can only work even better because of even more grip provided by winter tyres compared to summer 18" tyres.

Good luck with your car
Old 05-04-18, 07:24 AM   #3

I have the 18" with grip control, and I was disappointed it did not come with winter tyres. My old BMW 330D with winter tyres performed better in the snow than grip control and m+s tyres.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
DennisL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-18, 07:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisL View Post
I have the 18" with grip control, and I was disappointed it did not come with winter tyres. My old BMW 330D with winter tyres performed better in the snow than grip control and m+s tyres.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Hi,dDid you purchase your car in summer or winter season?
Or when I think about it, it depends if you are in a country where winter tyres are obligatory?
For example in Austria, and many other countries with strong winters, if you purchase any car from a car dealer during the winter season it is illegal for them to sell you the car on summer tyres, because it is not road legal at that point.

When it comes to new cars though, some brands will provide a free set of winter tyres and wheels with the car, but not all do it. I personally got both sets of wheels and that was one of the reasons why I bougth the 5008, it saved me minimum 1500 on the start.

And like I said above, the M+S tyres that you got with Grip Control are not all season or winter tyres, they are summer tyres so no wonder it performed poor in snow.
Old 08-10-19, 07:31 AM   #5

Hi! I asked my dealer about switching to 17" and 215/65/R17 and he said that the Grip Control system, in order to work correctly, needs the 18" 225/55/R18 wheels or it needs to be re-calibrated with the 17" each time the wheels are changed. I am in doubt if to buy 17" wheels and tires or just 18" tires and keep the standard Los Angeles rims.
chris23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-19, 10:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris23 View Post
Hi! I asked my dealer about switching to 17" and 215/65/R17 and he said that the Grip Control system, in order to work correctly, needs the 18" 225/55/R18 wheels or it needs to be re-calibrated with the 17" each time the wheels are changed. I am in doubt if to buy 17" wheels and tires or just 18" tires and keep the standard Los Angeles rims.
Can someone confirm this information? I have M+S and winter is coming... I will search for new winter wheels then...
Old 08-10-19, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris23 View Post
Hi Chris,

That is absolutely not true. The Grip Control system is optimised to work with the 18" Wheels and ContiCrossContact LX2 tyres which come from the factory.
The reason for that is because these tyres have a specific thread pattern that provides better grip on minor offroading. There are other tyres on the market with similar thread patterns, and they would do just as good.
These tyres are usually advertised as Summer SUV Tyres, and they carry a M+S mark even though they are not winter tyres.

The reason why that claim from your dealer is not true, is because Peugeot themselves sell new cars with GripControl and 17" WInter tyres. Just like my cars.
I got a set of 17" Alloys and Michelin Alpin 5 winter tyres with my car, and it has GripControl and 18" Los Angeles wheels for summer.
I have never had any problem with the 17" wheels.

GripControl is just 4 additional ESP modes added to the standard car, there is nothing really special about it, it is not like they are adding mechanical differentials and changing the car in any other way, it is just an additional software part.

One could purchase 18" winter tyres, there is nothing wrong with doing that. I personally would not do it if I already have 17" alloys because of the added cost difference of 18" tyres, and the fact that 18" tyres will be lower and provide less protection for the alloys/car during winter. And wider tyres generally provide less traction in winter.
Old 08-10-19, 11:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehacz View Post
Can someone confirm this information? I have M+S and winter is coming... I will search for new winter wheels then...
Which M+S tyres do you have?
Old 08-10-19, 06:28 PM   #9

What denzel said is true, but you need to understand why, not just because Peugeot sells them.

It's because of proper tire dimensions. 225/55/R18 and 215/65/R17 are basically the same in regards of total wheel size, so grip control should not be affected at all.
mara- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-19, 06:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara- View Post
What denzel said is true, but you need to understand why, not just because Peugeot sells them.

It's because of proper tire dimensions. 225/55/R18 and 215/65/R17 are basically the same in regards of total wheel size, so grip control should not be affected at all.
Yes, the biggest problem are the clueless dealerships, not the buyers

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
mara- and IanML like this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in