Peugeot Forums banner

Timing belt kits Made in China. Sold as Gates drive belts

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  rustyroger 
#1 ·
Too good to be true I thought saving 50 quid on normal price

Brand new Gates Genuine parts. ( as stated on the advert listing )
Then when I paid and it was a Chinese vendor alarm bells started to ring

So I spent a bit of time googling fake cam belts and open my eyes :nono: :eek:

So it arrived yesterday 24hrs after purchase and its been returned today for refund

Surplus order and a few people had bought them and I wonder if they have fitted them or sent them back for refund too ?

I know most things are made in China and some things can be made to a price from crap to real quality if they want too and whom orders the specification

Anybody had any stories with fitting Chinese cam belts ?
I just don't think the quality is there at all

Its like playing cam belt roulette with brand new parts

Like people say
Buy Cheap buy twice

How sellers can get away with describing something as genuine parts and having Gates logo and parts in advert and send out plain white box of crap

Refund is not a problem ... just be aware buying stuff like this

Had quite a bit of luck recently saving money on genuine 307 spares that people have bought and not used
So now I know my luck has finally ran out

I hope this is a lesson to be learnt and shared with the forum

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You do realise half your car was made in china i was stripping a 2004 206 cc and just happened to notice the label on the original wiring loom on the engine had the name guangzhou on it so even the loom for a 2004 car comes from china !

Most peugeot radios are made in china they may well have a clarion or blaupunkt badge but the factory is in china

#3 ·
The difference between Chinese and OEM (Chinese) products is the quality control.

There have been numerous stories of surplus parts or parts which didn't pass quality control finding there way out of Chinese factories and onto eBay.

Personally, I would never risk damage from questionable parts such as timing belts, etc.

#4 ·
Most Peugeot parts are questionable :)

This is the problem nowadays everything is built to a cost and not to last forever and sometimes you buy a name over everything else to find its still rubbish anyway !

Those belts may well have come from the gates factory they may not you really have no idea and no way to know for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.