Peugeot Forums banner

Notchy Steering

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  nbohemen 
#1 ·
So, i am the owner of a new Peugeot 308 SW from 2019 with the Allure+ spec.

So far very happy altho the car seems to have developed an issue with the steering. Its difficult to explain but ill give it a shot.

The steering is light and as i would expect in towns at low speeds.

However sometimes when i get above 100km/h the steering becomes slightly heavier and has notches when i turn the wheel - Tiny bit of play in the center, then a distinct bit of resistance that feels like there's a slight notch to push over. Present on both left and right turns.

the few times where i turn the wheel more than slightly on the highway, the notches continue around the wheel but with less resistance than the first notch.

I had a talk with the dealer and they asked for me to come for a drive, drove there and there was nothing all the way there and the tech felt nothing while testing the car.

My question is - what do i tell the dealer? i have actual concerns about what would happen if i had to make an emergency maneuver and the wheel fightning me, especially when it becomes time to drive around with a newborn baby.

See less See more
#11 ·
So, i am the owner of a new Peugeot 308 SW from 2019 with the Allure+ spec.

So far very happy altho the car seems to have developed an issue with the steering. Its difficult to explain but ill give it a shot.

The steering is light and as i would expect in towns at low speeds.

However sometimes when i get above 100km/h the steering becomes slightly heavier and has notches when i turn the wheel - Tiny bit of play in the center, then a distinct bit of resistance that feels like there's a slight notch to push over. Present on both left and right turns.

the few times where i turn the wheel more than slightly on the highway, the notches continue around the wheel but with less resistance than the first notch.

I had a talk with the dealer and they asked for me to come for a drive, drove there and there was nothing all the way there and the tech felt nothing while testing the car.

My question is - what do i tell the dealer? i have actual concerns about what would happen if i had to make an emergency maneuver and the wheel fightning me, especially when it becomes time to drive around with a newborn baby.
I had a loan new 308 from the dealer when my car went in for a few days and found exactly the same thing. I found that when I turned off the Traction Control the steering was a lot better and solved the problem however the frustating part is that every time you switch the car back on the Traction Control automatically reactivates so each time you switch / turn the car on you have to deactivate the Traction Control. Very frustrating.

#12 ·
The ESP system auto rearms when you reach 30 mph - unless it's a GT or GTI spec.

FYI: ESP being armed by default when you start the engine is the motor industry standard - its up to the driver to disable the system IF the car even gives you that option ( some cars dont allow it )

#13 ·
Only noticed this in my car when stopped and the engine is idling. A definate clunking as I rotate the steering wheel. Feels like cogs turning.

Will have to try the ESP off, when I have charged my battery, as it has gone flat after 2 weeks of none use (battery 6 months old!!)

#15 ·
A mechanic friend of mine with a 208 built in September 2016 had to replace a front shock absorber the other week & found the top mount had gone notchy on one side & stiff on the other.

Maybe worth looking in to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.