Peugeot Forums banner

stop / start operation?

20K views 105 replies 21 participants last post by  WELSHVIKING 
#1 ·
well I've never had a car so reluctant to use it's stop start, is it normal?

I drive for circa 15miles to work so its not a great distance, but even a couple of 50mile journeys and still nothing.

its worked a few times but mostly just flashes "eco" 3 times when stopped.

is the alternator really that pathetic on the car or does the battery want changing?

I had a Golf which led a similar life and start/stop was working all the time?

#4 ·
How old is the car? you know, we don't, and this can make a difference.

If it's new, then there is possibly something wrong. In which case get back to the dealer.

Mine doesn't always work over short journeys, but 100 miles usually does it, then it continues to work for a few days on short runs.

#6 ·
I agree with your point, I bought mine second hand and for the first couple of weeks, the stop/start didn't enact once, but from them on it kicks in every now and again, sometimes after only driving for a minute or so!

It does need a wide range of parameters to be just right.

As has been said, if you are worried, get it taken to the dealer and see what they say. They will plug it in and see if their are any error codes.

#8 ·
Additionally, I think its worth noting that different Peugeot engines will behave differently when it comes to the S/S function.

E.g. Comparing the S/S function of a 2L 180 bhp engine and a 1.6L 120bhp engine isn't really possible.

Apologies if I'm merely stating the obvious.

#11 · (Edited)
Try me. (Don't use A/C and) install a new AGM battery. I guarantee you that after a day , your S&S will constantly stop at every stop light.
Regarding the fuel saved by such system : search YouTube . You can save at optimal conditions up to 10% . We never drive optimal. Tested inside London.
Search Google how many litres are consumed when engine is running at idle ( 1 liter/hour)
If you want to save earth: check how much NOx a small oil tanker produces while in the harbour.
You will then realize your car is super green.

#12 · (Edited)
5% is excelent result. 10% even better. Milions of cars with 5% less consumption, pollution, less noise .... yes, I'm satisfied with that.
Regarding saving Earth, what would be happen if I check tankers pollution in the harbour? My car will became more greener? I will decide to turn off S&S? What? Trump will go to Honduras as pizza man?

#13 · (Edited)
Not sure about millions of cars... Most people I know turn off the Eco S&S mode when they enter the car. Some even install a software hack to disable it permanently.
You can use that system if you like it. It is just meaningless in the total picture.

Btw: you don't need to qoute an adjacent message. Save 50% disk space... huge digital pollution. All that data replication in data centers ... Try to keep this forum compact & clean. At least in language.

#14 ·
I’ve found it strange at some points, but I find if I have the heating set to 14 (AC ON) or 15 (AC OFF) and either set on HI the stop start does not work.. as soon as I raise the temp between 16-28 it will stop start, usually no longer than 30-40 seconds then will start back up, assuming this is regulated on battery consumption / voltage etc..

One thing the pees me off if when I pull outside the girlfriends house and the engine cuts out, soon as a door is opened the engine fires back up for some strange reason,

For instance if she jumps out the car before I have time to turn the ignition off the engine will fire up as I’m turning the ignition off which is quite annoying to say the least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 · (Edited)
I've been reading a lot of threads regarding stop start questions. I can understand most of the requirements to enable this function. The one I dont understand is the charge of the battery. When the engine is started it takes 2 seconds or so at 80ish amps (guess) and then the engine runs. Surely a modern alternator will replenish this very quickly indeed if it's potential is a 100a charge! I think the stop start being prohibited because of a "Low battery" isn't the issue unless the battery capacity is diminished with age. Surely modern batteries last a bit more than 3 years before loosing the ability to be fully charged? The issue is more lightly to be engine temp or one of the other conditions don't you think.
I'm not a battery expert by any means but would welcome comments on my thoughts.
I drove the other morning with headlights on and system worked perfectly but not today.

#38 ·
I've been reading a lot of threads regarding stop start questions. I can understand most of the requirements to enable this function. The one I dont understand is the charge of the battery. When the engine is started it takes 2 seconds or so at 80ish amps (guess) and then the engine runs. Surely a modern alternator will replenish this very quickly indeed if it's potential is a 100a charge! I think the stop start being prohibited because of a "Low battery" isn't the issue
I think you will find your calculation is a little off modern starters are rated at 1.7-2.5kw sometimes more ! so if you do a little calculation although i agree its only for a few seconds the starter is consuming a huge amount of power also the BSI is in control of the alternator output so will limit its output to avoid damage to the battery by constant rapid charge/discharge cycles and this is where the issue lies

The battery needs to be over a certain level decided by the BSI and the load needs to be such that the alternator and battery can cope until these are met the stop start wont work but having said that it should work better than it does there is no denying that !

#22 ·
The inconsistence of S&S is a huge annoyance to me. Very occasionally it surprises me by behaving as it should. Most times I'm waiting and wondering when it's going to happen.

The other week we drove down to London to deliver some of our daughter's belongings to her digs. Despite some 230 miles of near constant driving it refused to S&S once we hit the delays of London. Now, we did have a cooler box plugged in but surely the alternator could have coped with that?

#23 ·
Oh yes. The alternator would have eaten that load for a snack! I am with you. Seems no rhyme nor reason for ss not functioning. You have just proven my wild theory. Is is not the battery at fault. Is can't be unless you and I have alternators and charging regulators that. are shot to pieces lol.

#24 ·
The battery was changed in my car less than a year ago when the S&S was being sorted out under warranty so it's highly unlikely I'd agree.

I just wish there was some readout that would explain why the S&S wasn't operating. It's not knowing that's so bloody frustrating.

#26 ·
Why do you think it's something faulty? I mean, that's like someone say that your car not run as it should because sometimes it stop, or drive 100 mph in 6th, or 20 in 2nd, or two windows are open and the other two are closed ....
S&S probably work just fine, when is aplicable goes to stop, otherway no. Like cooler fan or something :)
S&S doing its job, I'm doing mine :)

#29 · (Edited)
Paul.,.Just to add to the confusion. My ss hasn't worked last 2 days. Drove somewhere different today about 8 miles. Engine up to temp. First lights I came to engine stopped automatically! Work that one out.Perhaps the threshold for temp and battery voltage is set quite high? Dont make sense of your long journey though cause your battery MUST have been fully charged after a few miles.
:noshare:
Thanks for the other comments. We're not saying there is a fault we were just trying to see if there was any logic in the control of s and s.

#32 · (Edited)
Had an interesting scenario with the stop/start last night.

Queuing up and moving towards the passport control at Plymouth ferryport, the lanes are in a U shape around a storage building. I found that when the front wheels were in the straight ahead position, the S/S activated but if the wheels were at an angle, it wouldn't.

Having just got off the ship, car would have been cold, climate control was set to Auto, at about 17c, but I increased the temp to about 21c whilst I was queued up.

#34 ·
That makes perfect sense.

Think about when you are turning right at a junction, there is a steady flow of traffic coming towards you. S/S should be disabled to allow you to quickly pull away when the traffic breaks (although you shouldn't have your wheels turned into the traffic while waiting anyway but that's driver error not manufacturer!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.