Peugeot Forums banner

Question about 2006 3L V6 motor

803 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  reliable406 
#1 ·
Just curious as to what is likely to happen to the 3L V6 motor [from 2006/7 model] if the cambelt breaks? Will it just bend valves or is the damage likely to be catastrophic?

Reason is there have been a couple advertised locally recently with broken cambelts, nobody wants to touch them due to costs of replacement s/h motors and I wondered if it might be economical to repair the motor rather than replace it if it only really suffers from bent valves?

#2 ·
I have only seen a couple of v6 engines with broken belts and 1 ran again afterwards !

I doubt the damage will be that bad most likely just valves but it could be all 24 of them and the work involved in stripping it all down would be best done with engine out.

Renault also use the engine in lagunas not sure if you get many of them where you are !

#3 ·
Cool, thanks for that.

Never seen any lagunas here, very few renaults here at all of any description.

Is the 407 motor the same basic unit as found in the 406's? i.e. long block? or is a different setup completely? Plenty of V6 406's here, all auto and nobody wants them as they are very thirsty being auto. So easy pickings for possible spare motor and swap all the bolt on bits over.

#4 ·
Yes and no the 406 engines dont have VVT like the 407 although some late model 406s and 607s do have the VVT engine but the engine is essentially the same they just redesigned the heads for better fuel economy and slightly more power.

Not looked into it in great detail so not sure if valves are the same size or not V6 engines are cheap here in uk so depending on shipping costs you could ship good heads over !

between me and my sons we have at least 7 v6 peugeot renault vehicles :)

#5 ·
Right... I bet all of yours are MANUAL...? :cool:

I hate autos. I have tried to get to like them but cannot, the auto gearbox tries to be too clever for it's own good IMO, that is why I have got rid of both my 407's. I have only come across one manual 407 here, they are RARE! Have gone back to my 406HDi's where I can have a manual. Never driven or been in a manual V6 petrol, must be quite nippy..?

Will look further into shipping costs from UK to NZ, but suspect it will be horrific for large items unless I can find space in someone's shipping container.

#6 ·
Yes possibly heads will be about 25-30kg each

We have manuals and autos and im the opposite although the auto is a bit dumb i prefer it for day to day driving.

406 is good with either box manual box in 406 is very good but due to torque you can drop down to 20 mph in 5th and still pull away so can be driven like an auto :)

I have a manual renault espace v6 and an auto and they are totally different animals the manual is like a fire breathing monster always wants to go where the auto just cruises along not making a fuss i can see why renault did not make manual espaces !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.