Peugeot Forums - View Single Post - New Car - First impressions
View Single Post
Old 05-03-18, 06:25 AM   #1
Yobbo

Post New Car - First impressions

Having had my new car for three weeks I thought it might be helpful to give some early feedback as it may help anyone who is considering a future purchase.

Car is a Spacetourer Medium (the equivalent of the Peugeot Traveller and the Toyota ProAce Verso).

The Good

Loads of space - I finally have a car with the space I need
Presence - I have driven lots of 4WD's and it has a similar presence from the driving seat to driving a Range Rover. It is great to see over other cars on the motorway.
It is a lot more refined and quiet than I was expecting. Its a big improvement over the previous version
The ride is quite soft but fortunately it doesn't wallow.
I like the optional reversing camera. In particular the 180 degree view which assists reversing out of parking spaces. The car would be difficult to park efficiently without the camera and the composite 'helicopter view' that the screen generates.
The optional dynamic cruise control works well and gives me plenty of notice when things are going wrong. It does suffer from latency though so there is often an 4-5 second unexplained delay (which feels like a lifetime) from when I engage it to when it takes control.
I love the sliding removable seats. Yes they don't fold flat but I simply remove any that I don't need. The double sliding seat is ridiculously heavy so needs two people to remove it.
Very Good fuel economy. Mine is a 1.6 115ps manual. Much to my surprise I got 700 miles out of my first tankful (the low fuel warning light was on). As I did a brim-to-brim economy check, that equates to about 50 mpg. I was expecting 40-42 mpg so am very pleased as that will save me about 300 quid a year. Others may not get that as I am a gentle driver and most of my journeys are more than 60 minutes

The less good

As anticipated, the steering is not great. It is very low geared 4 turns lock to lock and is so light that it lacks feels and precision and you have to shuffle it through your hands a lot. Users on other forums around Europe and various Youtube reviews say similar things.
The handbrake is slightly out of reach. Not a biggy, but a pain in stop start motoring.
The car lacks solid grab handles to get in and out. It really needs them. The equivalent VW Multivan & Caravelle has them in the A and B pillar.
For such a big vehicle it lacks minor storage space on the dash near the driver so everything goes in the doors. I have purchased a 14.75 litre shallow plastic A3 storage box (link below) which fits perfectly under the sliding double seat in the second row. This stops things that I only need occasionally from rolling around the floor.
https://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/cra...-lid-p387/s700
I am baffled by the heated mirrors. My last 4 cars have all had heated mirrors that stay on continuously while the windscreen wipers are operating so they continue to evaporate droplets of water. Not this car. I have to press the button every ten minutes to reactivate them because they keep switching off in rain which gets frustrating on a long wet drive
I am struggling with the large central display as there are so many options. Having 3 separate radio user profiles really confused me until I made them all identical. I am sure I will get used to it in time.

I will post a further update in a few weeks.

Last edited by Yobbo; 08-03-18 at 09:48 AM.
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote