Windscreen wiper pump turned on when ignition was off - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-18, 08:09 PM   #1

Default Windscreen wiper pump turned on when ignition was off

Hi, I have a 2007 1.4 HDI 207.

It has been off the road for a few months since June, and I took it for a spin yesterday. Later in the evening, the windscreen washer pump powered on by itself with the ignition turned off. The pump made quite a loud noise as I could hear it from inside and sounded like a hoover. I checked the fuse and its ok. I ran a current through the pump and its works ok. Both front and back wipers work ok but no windscreen washer. Its very unusual for a pump to come on and no ignition on.

Any information and ideas welcome.

Last edited by glydeview; 08-11-18 at 08:12 PM.
glydeview is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-18, 08:32 PM   #2

Water ingress into wiring shorting things out its a known issue on 207.
Old 08-11-18, 08:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Water ingress into wiring shorting things out its a known issue on 207.
Thanks for the reply. I read about that in a few other threads. How could I check if it is the wiring?

I read that this can affect ECU operated components such as speedometer, ABS etc..., but I have no warning lights on dash and the car turns on and runs fine.

Old 08-11-18, 09:04 PM   #4

Gets into fusebox too that controls the wipers and washer pump
Old 08-11-18, 09:46 PM   #5

Disconnect battery positive and remove the multipin connectors in turn from the ECU (big silver box thing next to the battery).

See if you spot any signs of damp or corrosion on or between the pins. Do the same for the multipin connectors in the fusebox too and just about every other you can find!

Drive out damp with WD40 but rinse out after with a proper electrical contact cleaner spray (not good to leave WD40 on electrical contacts as it's primarily an insulator)
Equinox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-11-18, 08:53 PM   #6

Default Two Earths at Windscreen Washer Pump Connection

Hi. Thanks for all your input. I tried all your suggestions but I still have had no joy.

I changed the stalk just to see but this made no difference, and the same problem remained.

I found out now that the windscreen washer pump has two earths at plug connection instead of a positive and negative, and I wonder if you have any ideas why this could be? and how this could have made the pump turn on by itself?

Many thanks.
Old 16-11-18, 12:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by glydeview View Post
Hi. Thanks for all your input. I tried all your suggestions but I still have had no joy.

I changed the stalk just to see but this made no difference, and the same problem remained.

I found out now that the windscreen washer pump has two earths at plug connection instead of a positive and negative, and I wonder if you have any ideas why this could be? and how this could have made the pump turn on by itself?

Many thanks.
Well, two earths won't make anything work! The washer pump is just a motor. It needs a voltage across it to make it work.

One side of the washer pump connects to earth (the metalwork of the vehicle) which on a negative earth vehicle connects to - guess what - the negative terminal of the battery.

The other side of the washer pump connects to the controller module for the thing. When the module wants to wash something it applies +12V to it. Simples.

So, when you say your washer pump has "two earths" going to it, what makes you think that? Are you using a multimeter and measuring resistance to the vehicle metalwork?

Last edited by Equinox; 16-11-18 at 12:53 PM.
Equinox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in