using water but no apparent leaks ? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-15, 10:18 PM   #1
Inactive User

Wink using water but no apparent leaks ?

hi everyone,

i am new on to your great forum, and new to owning a peugeot as well;

i have posted a problem with the gearbox fault warning on another post and i have some concerns now with the coolent usage.

i have a 2007 207 1.6 16V VTI 120. and only had the car for three weeks now.

i have noticed that the coolant level has dropped from the max to the min mark twice in a the last two weeks.!! ; i have looked around the engine and there are no obvious signs of leaking and the temp gauge sits in the middle of the range, so i assume it is not running too hot ?;

but there is a distinct smell of the engine running hot when you open the bonnet. and the fan seems to run continuous ? could you please advise if this sounds normal operation and also if the use of around 450ml of coolant in a week is normal. the mileage in this period is only around 50 miles;

any help will be very much appreciated

bob c
BOBCUSSEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-15, 10:25 PM   #2
Inactive User

Coolant sensor failed causes fan to run continuously and coolant leak... It leaks from sensor and works its way up the wiring loom to engine ecu.

Also had thermostat housing leak, and also coolant bottle crack, and hose from coolant bottle at bottom leak from connection.:.. Peugeot modified the bottle, hose and cap.
Click4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-15, 10:48 PM   #3
Inactive User

thanks for that, this car still has a warranty but i dont know if this would be covered until i speak to the garage?

is the coolant sensor easily changed or is it a dealer job ?

bob

Old 11-05-15, 02:03 PM   #4

as above run your nose over the rad when the engine is hot you can smell the antifreeze if you have a small leak (the rad on the 207 is a doddle to change)

also wiggle the lower header pipe when the engine is hot, check for leaks.

header tank split is harder to find, follow your nose first.

coolant temprature sensor is down by the stat,under the air filter forward pipe, just one pull clip on ours, looks easy enough but havnt removed it.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-15, 03:10 PM   #5

Replacing the expansion tank cap cured this problem on my 307. I suspect it had weakened and was allowing coolant to flow out at a lower pressure than it should.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-15, 08:29 PM   #6
Inactive User

Wink

hi everyone, thanks for your replies. im not sure what is going on with this coolant leak/usage etc? although the level did move from max to min during the coarse of the week last week, the car done a greater distance today then normally covered during the week and the level has not moved off the max mark??

also the fan has not cut in from start to finish of the journey, apart from when the aircon is switched on, then the fan runs. the water temp has also remained at 90. the reason i mentioned the fan is i had previously head it running as soon as the car was started but this must have been simply because the air con/ fan cold fan was on inside ( stupid me ).

i have looked again and cant see anything leaking but thats as far as i can see. so im not 100% on that

but i can smell the antifreeze for sure so there must be something as you have suggested.

i have booked the car in for a diagnostic reading for a auto box warning fault and have asked them to check the coolant situation so i dont know if they will put a pressure test on it but it is a peugeot dealer so hopefully they will find something.

i looked at the underside of the oil filler cap and this is clean enough and the oil is still looking amber following an oil change in oct last year. ( not golden but certainly not too dark ) so hopefully it is not head gasket related.

i have the check on wednesday and will keep you posted.

thanks everyone for your help so far

kind regards

bob
Old 11-05-15, 10:12 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCUSSEN View Post
hi everyone, thanks for your replies. im not sure what is going on with this coolant leak/usage etc? although the level did move from max to min during the coarse of the week last week, the car done a greater distance today then normally covered during the week and the level has not moved off the max mark??

also the fan has not cut in from start to finish of the journey, apart from when the aircon is switched on, then the fan runs. the water temp has also remained at 90. the reason i mentioned the fan is i had previously head it running as soon as the car was started but this must have been simply because the air con/ fan cold fan was on inside ( stupid me ).

i have looked again and cant see anything leaking but thats as far as i can see. so im not 100% on that

but i can smell the antifreeze for sure so there must be something as you have suggested.

i have booked the car in for a diagnostic reading for a auto box warning fault and have asked them to check the coolant situation so i dont know if they will put a pressure test on it but it is a peugeot dealer so hopefully they will find something.

i looked at the underside of the oil filler cap and this is clean enough and the oil is still looking amber following an oil change in oct last year. ( not golden but certainly not too dark ) so hopefully it is not head gasket related.

i have the check on wednesday and will keep you posted.

thanks everyone for your help so far

kind regards

bob
My 206 has been loosing coolant for well over a year due, so the garage thinks, to a minor crack in the cylinder head or cylinder block. There is no obvious external signs of leakage anywhere around the engine or coolant pipes or radiator. On shortish runs it needs topping up weekly but on long runs it does not drop below the high coolant mark after brimming the expansion bottle. A new pressure cap has not cured it. I manage it by buying 99p shop antifreeze and keeping a close eye so far without problems. I did try the usual RadWeld, Bars Leaks, etc but no cure despite several doses.
FourOaksMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-15, 10:45 PM   #8
Inactive User

thanks for your reply; but i must admit your garage suggestion of a cracked cylinder head/block sounds a bit scary to me. and i would think that would not take long to turn to a disaster but you have obviously survived thus far .

lets hope it continues

bob
Old 12-05-15, 03:14 PM   #9

judging by the amount of header tanks sold on ebay that has to be a suspect.

it was only fluke i found a pinhole leak in ours, i released the pressure at the bleed screw with a hot engine and just noticed a drop run down. wanted to rule out cap so..

took it off, sealed the holes, covered it with washing up liquid and blew through it (after it was cleaned of corse, antifreeze can kill if swallowed)

sure enough tiny bubbles started around the join at the rear of the tank,tiny tiny leak.

btw if you want to clean your tank cut a washing up sponge in 4 or 5 peices, pop them in,block holes... balloons? then a cup of boiling water and a scoop or 2 of oxi, then shake like your on come dancing.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-15, 05:36 PM   #10

the water pump can cause these sorts of symptoms ...ie no obvious leaks till the engines hot and running-the pump can wobble a little when the bearings have gone and the seal holding the water in can't cope.(.especially dodgy when driven by the cambelt! and an obvious reason to change the pump when you do the belt for peace of mind..wether it seems ok at the time or not.)

or maybe the inlet manifold? (i replaced a headgasket on a rover 25 years ago and it still lost water,and after more sniffer tests the headgasket was now fine, but when hot, the exhaust was still 'steaming'....,it was the plastic inlet manifold this time..took a bit of head scratching to find..as there were no external leaks..)
neil
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in