Peugeot Forums banner

Tow bar electrics - Coding?

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Brilec 
#1 ·
I want to fit a tow bar so I can use my bike carrier on my VTI Auto. Can I fit a universal wiring kit without any coding required from a main dealer?

A lot of the tow bar websites mention that coding is required. Is it required or is it just for things like beepers etc? I just want to use a basic 7 pin socket for tail/brake lights and indicators.

#2 ·
I've watched them wire up tow bar electrics in my work. They just run the wiring into the boot, behind interior panels, & upto each of the rear light clusters. They then splice & solder them into the existing wiring loom. Of course they all need to be good connections, protected from moisture.

I don't see why this splice method couldn't be done to your car. Does it have LED rear lights or anything fancy?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

#3 ·
It can be done without coding but you must use a bypass relay. Never just splice the wires into the existing harness.
Use a modern bypass relay and the system won't know you have a towbar fitted.

If you splice direct you will get numerous warnings of faulty bulbs as the extra loading will confuse the system.

Do you have parking sensors? If you do then get a swan neck towbar, other types will almost certainly cause problems with false alerts on the sensor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.