Starter Motor burnt out 5 times - dealers cannot seem to repair it! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-07-19, 02:13 PM   #1

Default Starter Motor burnt out 5 times - dealers cannot seem to repair it!

Hi Everyone,

I am turning to Peugeot Forum in utter desperation as I just dont know what to do next.

I bought my lovely 207 2011 1.4 Active in May 2016, with 1 previous owner and only 16k on the clock. In April 2018 a fault occurred the starter motor engaged when I switched the car off and burnt out. Luckily I had taken out an extended warranty so was able to have it repaired. Then it went again, and again. In the last year it has happened 5 more times, and each time a different part has been replaced under warranty several starter motors, an alternator, the ignition block, the fuse box, the ECU wiring loom. When they replaced the wiring loom (harness?) they found that part of it had practically melted away.

This last time, Robins & Day have finally contacted Peugeot Technical who advised that this is a known issue and the spindle is probably twisted. However, to replace this will take the total cost of repairs over the warranty amount of 4750, and they are asking me to contribute 1000!

I am horrified as I certainly cant afford this and just dont have any confidence that this will actually fix the car. I can see that there are other posts on the forum that mention starter motor burning out, but just dont know if this is the same issue.

Please could someone help and advise?

Thank you, Lyndy
lyndylou.66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-07-19, 12:11 PM   #2

All i can say is i would definitely be digging my heals in with regards to them footing the whole bill. To have it in 5 times and fail to diagnose the issue is a joke and then to ask you for a contribution is taking the **** in my view.

Is there anyone senior you can speak to at the dealership and explain what has gone on and the inconvenience caused which has gone on for over a year etc.

Good luck
scoey1001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-07-19, 02:01 PM   #3

Thank you, it’s good to know you agree that this is unacceptable - started to doubt myself! I will speak to the manager on Monday.

If anyone else has had a similar experience I’d love to know how it was resolved. Thanks again, Lyndy

Old 22-07-19, 09:39 AM   #4

The problem with most dealerships is that they do not spend the time to diagnose the problem properly. No tests are made to make sure the part is faulty. They operate on a "chuck new parts on it until the problem goes away" basis.

I would look at rejecting the vehicle under the Consumer Rights Act. You gave them multiple chances to repair the vehicle, they failed to do so, the car is no longer fit for it's purpose.

Yes, they should be footing the entire bill but if you read the warranties terms and conditions, there will most likely be a clause under it that states they will only pay up until what the vehicle's value is.
BiGK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-07-19, 01:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndylou.66 View Post
Thank you, it’s good to know you agree that this is unacceptable - started to doubt myself! I will speak to the manager on Monday.

If anyone else has had a similar experience I’d love to know how it was resolved. Thanks again, Lyndy
Hi Lyndy,

Just to add has anyone inspected it further to confirm what peugeot are saying is a known issue?

Keep us updated with how you get on and please don't pay anything towards the repair.
scoey1001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-07-19, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGK View Post
The problem with most dealerships is that they do not spend the time to diagnose the problem properly. No tests are made to make sure the part is faulty. They operate on a "chuck new parts on it until the problem goes away" basis.

I would look at rejecting the vehicle under the Consumer Rights Act. You gave them multiple chances to repair the vehicle, they failed to do so, the car is no longer fit for it's purpose.

Yes, they should be footing the entire bill but if you read the warranties terms and conditions, there will most likely be a clause under it that states they will only pay up until what the vehicle's value is.
Yes, that’s exactly what’s happened and every time I’ve asked for an explanation of the fault but they couldn’t answer me. At one point I was told “I can’t explain why, but I just feel this will fix it this time”. It didn’t!

I’m in the process of responding to the manager, and will let you know the outcome. Thanks for your help! 😊
Old 22-07-19, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoey1001 View Post

Hi Lyndy,

Just to add has anyone inspected it further to confirm what peugeot are saying is a known issue?

Keep us updated with how you get on and please don't pay anything towards the repair.
No, the warranty people inspected it before authorising the last repair, but as far as I know Peugeot Technical have not. Do you think I can insist on this?

Re the “known issue” this was mentioned by the workshop supervisor after talking to Technical - they said that starter motor burn outs were known to cause a twisted spindle. Not quite the same as a known issue as originally stated.

So Technical advised them “to replace the cylinder head. They thought that the eccentric cam was twisted.
We stripped the head to check but could not visually find any problem.
We passed our findings on to Peugeot Extended Warranty and they sent an engineer to have a look at the vehicle.
They agreed for us to replace the wiring loom, starter motor and engine ECU.
This we did but the vehicle would still not start.
After contacting Peugeot technical they again advised us to renew the cylinder head along the VVT motor.”

So it seems the advice is to repeat a repair which is not visually showing signs of damage!

I will ask about this and post details of the outcome.

Thanks again everyone, Lyndy
Old 23-07-19, 03:02 PM   #8

"So Technical advised them “to replace the cylinder head. They thought that the eccentric cam was twisted.
We stripped the head to check but could not visually find any problem."

Ah that makes perfect sense, an eccentric cam that causes the starter to operate when the key is out. These people are idiots quite frankly.

Try and only communicate in writing, either email or snail mail. The problem with phone calls and chatting in person is that there is no record of what is being said. So from a legal standpoint, you are losing out because if they mess up somewhere, it is in writing and you can refer to it, should the time come to it.

Furthermore, you should not pay one penny. You bought the extended warranty for a reason. The first starter motor was paid under warranty. That starter motor comes with a guarantee and it failed under that guarantee, therefore the second, third, fourth and fifth should have been replaced under guarantee, not your warranty, so the warranty payouts haven't exceeded the vehicles value.

This is the problem with the "chuck parts at it and hope the problem goes away", if it's a cheap part and easy labour, by all means go for it. When the parts are expensive, they need to test exactly what's wrong with it and get an auto-electrician in to diagnose the fault.

Last edited by BiGK; 23-07-19 at 03:06 PM.
BiGK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-19, 10:39 AM   #9

Hi again, thanks for all your advice on this - I have just been informed that Robins & Day are covering the shortfall as a gesture of goodwill and the repair is going ahead. I am so relieved.

Will update once repair completed to let you know if successful. May save others from going through the same long diagnostic process...

Thanks again, Lyndy
Old 08-08-19, 01:29 PM   #10

My guess is the underbonnet fusebox has a fault and this is what is occasionally triggering the starter but to suggest something in the head is causing the starter to burn out is laughable they do not have a clue !

As for covering the cost that is totally up to them it would not have cost this much if they had diagnosed it properly in the first place !

As already said dealers contrary to what many believe are not very good at diagnosing issues they just know how to read fault codes and fit new parts
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in