Repetitive Clicking When Trying To Start - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-10-18, 01:30 PM   #1

Default Repetitive Clicking When Trying To Start

2008 1.6Vti 207SW - has happened once to me but don't want it to happen again!

Symptom is that you insert the key and try to turn over the engine. Starter motor doesn't turn but you get a fast clicking (about three times a second) and lots of flashing dashboard lights while it's doing it.

When I say "clicking" sound it actually sounds a bit like the starter motor trying to engage and then immediately disengaging. I found this video of the symptom so you can see and hear exactly what I'm talking about...

What I did was I disconnected the battery and waited a few minutes. Reconnected and the car started perfectly.

I would like a more definitive explanation of what was happening and what the real cause was. Anyone recognise this issue?

Regards, Ivor
Equinox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-10-18, 03:57 PM   #2

thats either a low battery, bad earth or failing starter.
try battery first, get it tested at a garage or tyre centre.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-10-18, 08:21 PM   #3

When 'it happened to me once', did it start after this event without requiring a jump start or anything else?

If yes, I would remove/clean positive and negative battery connections, main connection between battery positive and starter motor solenoid, and main ground connections from battery->body->motor.

If it required a jump start, get battery properly load tested, but still do the + and - check/clean as above anyway.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 27-10-18, 01:17 PM   #4

Thanks Stripe and Will!

Bad earth or bad battery are the two obvious ones of course. Classic causes of a classic symptom.

What got my brain wondering was because all I did was disconnect battery positive and reconnect and it started again first turn of the key. The positive terminal looked clean and good and the locking tab mechanism on the cable end feels nice and 'tight'.

Starter motor spins up fast and no dimming of lights at low revs so battery and charging appears OK.

I shall seek and destroy by checking all earthing points but as I say it did this ONCE and once only. Always starts with first turn of the key, runs like a dream.

I guess with these complicated cars full of sensors and software it gets even the most seasoned car enthusiast suspecting all sorts of things with the most obvious coming last

Regards,
Ivor
Equinox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-10-18, 11:19 AM   #5

think a cell in the battery starts going bad, car will start most times then clicking starts.
Have noticed over the years that letting a battery go totally flat seems to kill them quicker.Many places do a free battery check a home multimeter check is no good.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in