Rear disc brake or bearing issue - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-03-17, 11:10 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Rear disc brake or bearing issue

Looking for peoples input on this.

Car is a 2007 207 SW 1.6 VTI ep6 engine with rear disc brakes and bosch calipers.

When I got the car I noticed the nearside rear brake would stick on sometimes. I stripped the brakes noting there were new pads on them and fairly new discs. I found the sliders were a little tight so cleaned and greased them. The problem appeared to go away.

Recently I noticed that it was sticking again but only on a single stretch of road. The road is a short stretch of 50 mph dual carriage way which is downhill and requires harder than normal braking at the end before a large roundabout and a second stretch of 50 mph. It is on the second stretch the noise occurs.

On checking the brakes I noticed the pads on the one side are very worn and will need changing soon whilst the other side look like new.

My current thinking is that the caliper is sticking so I have ready to fit a new flexi hose, new pads and a caliper rebuild kit. Just checked the discs which are still 9mm so barely worn and checked them for run out which is clear. I have checked the handbrake is fully disengaging on the calipers which it is. There is no play in the wheel bearings and they turn freely when the car is in the air.

The only issue I found is that when the hub in question is turned very slowly I can hear a click which sounds just like a small ball bearing dropping within it's race. Would this indicate that the wheel bearing in question is shot. If it is could it be causing the wear on the brake pads i.e hub wobble when the car is moving that can not be replicated with the car in the air.

If I do need to replace the discs (to replace bearing) what size is the hub nut as I have seen conflicting reports of it being 35mm or 36mm.

Thanks
Angrycrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-03-17, 11:35 AM   #2

36mm and you will need to bounce on a breaker bar to remove it.

i had all sorts of problems with the rear o/s calliper, also had the click click which was comming from that funny plastic thing on the top calliper bolt, warped disc.

i just changed the lot, new recon calliper around 50quid, new discs and pads also had to swap the flexi from peugeot as someone in the past had cross threaded it a little.

theres a few you tube vids around.

also if replacing rear disc pay extra for the ones with built in bearings, saves faffing around.

and make sure it has the abs ring attatched.

Last edited by stripe88; 25-03-17 at 01:41 PM.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-17, 11:26 PM   #3
Inactive User

After delays due to royal mail destroying my parcel with the caliper kit I finally got to look at the brakes today.

The clicking from the affected wheel turned out to be a foreign object inside the tyre and once the brakes where stripped the bearing and disc were fine but the caliper was seized so I stripped and rebuilt it. This turned out to be the easiest part of the job. Has any one else had problems with vetech pads as the ones I received were half a mm too wide meaning they did not fit the carrier.

Ended up sourcing a second caliper kit as I found the other caliper was on the way out. All sorted now so back to happy motoring.
Angrycrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in