Rear brake squeak 207 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-04-15, 01:50 PM   #1

Default Rear brake squeak 207

Hi all,

Just a minor annoyance with my 207. The driver's side rear brake has started squeaking when applied. Even more annoying when I am slowing down for a junction.

I have had a bit of a search and have seen people mentioning copper grease between piston and calliper. However I have the 1.4vti so I have Drum Brakes on the back.

Does anyone have any pointers as to what to look for etc...

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PaulMillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-04-15, 04:08 PM   #2
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMillard View Post
Hi all,

Just a minor annoyance with my 207. The driver's side rear brake has started squeaking when applied. Even more annoying when I am slowing down for a junction.

I have had a bit of a search and have seen people mentioning copper grease between piston and calliper. However I have the 1.4vti so I have Drum Brakes on the back.

Thanks
I read some garages use it and some don't also Copper grease is old hat and not used in brake assembly anymore, it melts, it's conductive of electricity and causes problems with some modern brake electronics.

find this
Copper grease does nothing too stop squealing and if it does it short lived as the grease just push's out with the force
Squealing means there is something else that's an issue for example cheap sub standard pads
Copper grease is very old school and not really needed also the use of copper grease just attracts dirt and brake dust
Another thing to note is that copper grease should not be in contact with anything aluminum as it reacts with the aluminum

I also find a link for you

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...not-on-brakes/

Last edited by Michaelk207; 22-04-15 at 04:35 PM.
Michaelk207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-04-15, 04:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMillard View Post
Hi all,

Thanks
Might just need checking/cleaning.Need to take rear drums off,(think it's a 36m.m. socket) and get new hub nuts.As for copper grease you can put some on any surface that is steel against steel but avoid any pad/contact surface.
shep64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-15, 08:41 PM   #4
Inactive User

In case anyone else has this issue, there are 6 contact points inside each drum which the shoes slide over (3 points per shoe, roughly at the top middle and bottom). As the shoes move they can rub on these and this is normally what causes the squeaking.

With the shoes still in place, slightly lever out the brake shoes and apply copper grease (or other suitable lubricant) to these 6 contact points. You'll only have a small opening to get into, I found a slightly bent spark plug feeler gauge worked quite well.

As others have mentioned, try not to get grease on the shoe material and if you do make sure to clean it off.

Make sure to check for any lips inside the drums and sand/grind these off if any are there.

Oh and as the other post suggested the rear hub nuts are 36mm.

I've just done this on my 1.4vti sport as I had to replace one of the wheel cylinders as it had seized.
Rhodders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-15, 08:23 AM   #5

Could just be dirt and dust buildup with this hot dry weather. Strip it down, use a can of brake cleaner.
Old 02-07-15, 08:40 AM   #6

Ive sold the car now, and bought a new 308! But thanks for the heads up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PaulMillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in