Quick question about +ve quick release battery terminal - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By storeman
  • 1 Post By stripe88
  • 1 Post By IanML

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-08-17, 01:14 AM   #1

Default Quick question about +ve quick release battery terminal

I see the quick release is on the positive. General consensus when disconnecting the battery for whatever reason is negative first. Is the negative first rule purely because of safety reasons, i.e. if you did have to use a wrench to undo the positive & accidentally touch the chassis with the wrench while doing it.

Are there any purely electrical reasons why you should undo the negative first. If so, why is the quick release on the positive ? Is it in case of a fire & not for maintenance ?

Thanks

Last edited by mckenzie; 25-08-17 at 01:16 AM.
mckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-08-17, 09:45 AM   #2

Are you sure there isn't a quik release on the megative side?

Eve peugeot I've had has quick release on both terminals - it's just the negative side is a real pain to get to and usually requires taking the battery cover off.
As for which one to remove first, as far as I'm aware, it was the best procedure to remove the ground terminal first back when you needed tools to disconnect the battery terminals to prevent a short if the spanner contacted the body when removing the none grounded terminal.
mckenzie likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by storeman; 25-08-17 at 09:47 AM.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-08-17, 11:02 AM   #3

i found it strange also, but also find it very handy, i always use a plastic bag to pop over the lead to save it finding earth.
mckenzie likes this.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 25-08-17, 12:42 PM   #4

Yes its on the positive only. Peugeot must have it there for a reason.

I understand the physical safety reasons for taking off the negative first, however I was wondering about any purely electrical reasons ? I would hazard a guess there aren't any since its just too easy to pop the positive off. I could be wrong though, possibly its easy access for fire prevention?
Old 25-08-17, 01:31 PM   #5

Also, what sort of ECU data loss can I expect if it's disconnected on a 2009 207 for half an hour ?

thanks
Old 25-08-17, 02:16 PM   #6

There is no electrical reason not to disconnect the battery positive first. The fact that it has a quick release eliminates the danger of earthing the positive terminal whilst disconnecting.

It is important, with Peugeots, to allow the BSI to "go to sleep" before disconnecting. See here for the full procedure and reasons.

Afaik, there is no time period associated with ECU data retention. Data is either written to non-volatile memory (i.e. retained indefinitely) or it is lost when power is removed. One assumes that the designers have made appropriate choices. However, if the above disconnection procedure is not followed, memory can become corrupted, such that key registrations are forgotten, and the like. In such cases, Peugeot Planet 2000 diagnostic system has to be used to recover some corrupt functions, but others are overcome by the reboot procedure (sometimes multiple attempts are required).
mckenzie likes this.

Last edited by IanML; 25-08-17 at 02:23 PM.
IanML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-08-17, 02:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanML View Post
There is no electrical reason not to disconnect the battery positive first. The fact that it has a quick release eliminates the danger of earthing the positive terminal whilst disconnecting.

It is important, with Peugeots, to allow the BSI to "go to sleep" before disconnecting. See here for the full procedure and reasons.

Afaik, there is no time period associated with ECU data retention. Data is either written to non-volatile memory (i.e. retained indefinitely) or it is lost when power is removed. One assumes that the designers have made appropriate choices. However, if the above disconnection procedure is not followed, memory can become corrupted, such that key registrations are forgotten, and the like. In such cases, Peugeot Planet 2000 diagnostic system has to be used to recover some corrupt functions, but others are overcome by the reboot procedure (sometimes multiple attempts are required).
Great, thanks for this. I hope the designers did make the appropriate choice as I will be disconnecting. I read in a few places that some trim settings were lost & would need to be learned again once the car is driven & it may run a bit rough for a while, not sure if this applies to Peugeots though.

Last edited by mckenzie; 25-08-17 at 03:22 PM.
Old 25-08-17, 03:25 PM   #8

The 3 minute rule is the only thing you need to worry about ignore this and you risk a non starting car.

As for the quick release most modern peugeots have this on BOTH terminals but on some models you cant see the negative terminal till you pull the battery forward

I bought a peugeot 307 last week accident damaged roof non functioning and drivers window stuck half way would not budge even using planet done a reset following 3 minute rule window now works roof needs a boot catch and it will work too but without the reset window would never have worked.
Old 25-08-17, 09:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenzie View Post
... I read in a few places that some trim settings were lost & would need to be learned again once the car is driven & it may run a bit rough for a while, not sure if this applies to Peugeots though.
I have encountered this on old Suzuki Vitaras, X90s and Cappuccinos. New Suzuki models from 1997 did not suffer. My guess is the industry, as a whole, has not perpetuated this issue beyond about 1999.
IanML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in