Protect wiring loom from the dreaded water rot? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-04-15, 10:51 PM   #1
Inactive User

Send a message via Skype™ to xadz
Lightbulb Protect wiring loom from the dreaded water rot?

Hi guys!

I have seen a lot of threads about water getting in to the 207's ECU wiring loom.. seems pretty fatal.

It sounds so simple, is there a simple preventative measure I (and others!) can take on my 2008 1.4 VTi Sport to make sure that this isn't a worry?
muscleriot likes this.
Advertisement

Old 25-04-15, 08:02 AM   #2

I had this happen on my 207 in October 2014. Happily the repair was eventually funded by Peugeot after a load of agro. Since then I have done something to try and prevent it happening again. In my case the water came from the windscreen washer bottle through the faulty pump. I have heard that the water can also come from the engine coolant temperature sensor. Can anyone confirm 100% that this does actually happen ?

I've cut the wires to the windscreen washer pump about 6 inches from the pump and have then soldered the wires back together. That should stop water tracking along the copper wire as it can't get past the soldered section (if the pump fails again). Also water can't get through the coloured insulation plastic sleeve as there is a break in it where I cut and soldered the wire. I've done exactly the same to the coolant temperature sensor which I eventually found near the end of the engine above the gearbox. I had to take out the battery for access. I did take a photo (coolant temperature sensor only) which I will post later when I get time to offload it from my smart phone. The work was quite easy to do but I will admit I'm an electrical / electronics technician. The most difficult part was getting access to the washer pump and coolant sensor as neither are very easy to get to.

Just to clarify something. The water goes through the inner of the cables along the strands of copper and inside the coloured plastic insulation and that's how it gets to the connectors of the ECU or fuse box. The water does not simply run along the outside of the wires. Think of the wires being like a thin plastic pipe and you'll get the idea how this happens. Although there is copper inside the plastic sleeving it is still possible for water to get through. I did an experiment to prove it.
muscleriot likes this.

Last edited by mattalsop; 25-04-15 at 08:21 AM.
mattalsop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-04-15, 01:50 PM   #3

in my case the water was in the loom sleeve, simply pulling the fog light part of the loom and letting it drop emptied all the water out, i think it got in through the bit of the loom by the abs ecu and got sucked up as the engine/loom cooled, not sure though, may nick a small hole in the loom case next time to act as a breather.
muscleriot likes this.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 30-05-15, 03:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattalsop View Post
I did take a photo (coolant temperature sensor only) which I will post later when I get time to offload it from my smart phone.
Hi, is it possible to post the pic mentioned above?
tumph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-05-15, 03:15 PM   #5

I couldn't work out how to add the picture. It seems I can add a photo from the internet but I couldn't work out how to add a photo which is on my computer desktop. Any ideas ?
Old 30-05-15, 03:20 PM   #6

Yeah if it's on your desktop - when you post a reply scroll down and select 'Manage Attachments' from the 'attach Files' option in the 'additional options' section below the submit reply button.

Hope that makes sense - it reads quite confusing

I've put my car in my signature because I'm not sure if my model is prone to this fault - anyone else know?

Last edited by tumph; 30-05-15 at 03:22 PM.
tumph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-05-15, 03:26 PM   #7

Here we are........one picture as promised. No idea why but it's upside down !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
2015-02-08-13.03.41.jpg  
tumph and muscleriot like this.

Last edited by mattalsop; 30-05-15 at 03:30 PM.
Old 30-05-15, 03:36 PM   #8

Thank you, I have saved this pic - no way I would dare do it but I know someone who might, Still searching trying to find if my model is prone to this
Old 30-05-15, 05:42 PM   #9

And you haven't insulated the solder joins ?

A correctly soldered joint would have the solder flowing between all the copper strands effectively making the joint a solid conductor which would block the moisture using the channels to flow. Heat shrink would probably have been perfectly adequate to finish the job and still prevent water ingress but if the paranoia was high enough, spraying the joints thoroughly with a pcb protective laquer would have done the water protection perfectly with the benefit of also insulating the joints.

Still, being an electrical / electronics technician you would already know that.
shep64 and muscleriot like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-05-15, 07:41 PM   #10

The solder does indeed completely block the passage of any water by joining all of the copper strands together. The joins once soldered have been left open so any water coming from the coolant sensor or washer pump can escape from the end of the coloured insulation and simply drip off the wire. I didn't want to fit heat shrink tube in case that can carry any water from one side of the solder join across to the other side.

Clearly it's important that the two solder joins don't touch each other or any other metal work. The photo is of the coolant temperature sensor but I've done the same thing to the washer pump wiring since in my case that's where the disaster occurred on my 207 last year. The washer pump wiring mod took about 10 minutes but the coolant sensor took longer as I had to remove the battery and ECU to gain access.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in