Poor MPG - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-06-15, 02:07 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Poor MPG

Hi all,

I now have a 2007 207 1.6 HDI 90 which I've had now for a little while. I really like the car and it drives really nice. A whole lot better than the problematic 307 I had.

Driving it over the last couple of weeks I've noticed some little odd things.

One thing that I've noticed is that I seem to be getting relatively poor MPG for the journey and type of driving.

The reason I say this is because I travel almost 70 miles per day. Just over 60 miles of that is extra urban and I do approx 50 mph to 60 mph for that distance. The rest of the distance is on a major A road.

I brimmed the car and drove for a week. After that week I then filled it back up again and recorded the miles I had actually achieved. I had done 196 miles and it cost me 20 to fill it back up again. At 119.9p for the cost of Diesel at the moment that works out at 53 MPG.

I drove it for another week and did the same and I got almost the same MPG.

When driving on the motorway/dual carriageway the MPG on the MFD states anywhere between 70 and 100 MPG (even goes over 180 MPG when its coasting on the flat or down hill) so I know I'm not being heavy footed. Even on the other A road for the rest of the journey I'm seeing figures from 65 to 80 MPG.

The average MPG on the MFD also states that I did 76.3 MPG for that journey.

As a test this weekend I even let the car run down to the fuel warning message and the MFD said that I should have had almost 265 miles left in the tank before filling up and I know that I would not have been able to drive another 265 miles without filling up again.

I have reset both trip counter and MFD trip computer when I have filled up with fuel.

The car has 114000 on the clock and has a full service history and had a new turbo and cambelt done earlier this year.

I'm wondering if this poor MPG is related to the other issues that I've noticed.

When the car has been sitting over night or all day at work the car will start but throws out lots of blue smoke that smells like burning when the car is started. It then runs rough idle for about 2 or 3 minutes and then the car settles down and runs quiet and clean.

I also keep getting random smells of fuel through the vents when they are open. If I switch off the air fans or switch to aircon then I don't smell it.

In forth or fifth gear under about 1700 rpm and I try to accelerate then the car judders but I'm not sure if that's just how these cars drive or whether I'm expecting too much for a small engined car.

I've been looking at what might be causing the smoke etc and it looks like it might be symptoms of an injector problem.

Has anyone else had poor MPG when they had injector issues?

And what sort of MPG do you guys normally get when doing mainly motorway driving ?

If this does sound like an injector problem then I'll check the parts are covered by the warranty and if so then I'll get it to a dealer to sort out.

Thanks,

Chris
millerc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-06-15, 06:50 PM   #2

In my experience the trip computers MPG calculations can be rather optimistic. My first 307 regularly said I was getting 78 MPG up to 90MPG when is was in reality between 55 to 58mpg.

When coasting the instantaneous MPG can show 999MPG because the ecu switches off the injections and it's the inertia of the car that turns the engine, drop it out of gear and the MPG reading will start to drop.

A leaking injector would account for both a lower MPG and the fuel smell as fuel will be spilling out to be wasted and the fumes will be pulled in through the cabin filter into the ventilation system. Switching to recirculation would stop the smell of fuel after a short while if this is the case.

The car is eight years old so I would be extremely surprised if anything was still covered by a warranty unless you purchased one for the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-06-15, 05:53 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks storeman.

I thought I would be getting much higher MPG given the type of driving that I'm doing.

When I have the windows open or the ventilation recirculation off then I do get the fuel smell. When I get out of the car I can also smell it when I walk past the front of the car.

I purchased the car from a dealer and it has a warranty as part of the sale so I'm going to have read of the warranty and see if it covers this problem or not. I only purchased the car a little while ago so it's still got a warranty.

Thanks,

Chris
millerc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 17-06-15, 07:40 PM   #4
Inactive User

Injector seals are the common cause for smelling fuel in the car
joe366 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-06-15, 08:29 PM   #5

If the purchase was recent then you have a good argument that the fault whatever it turns out to be was present when you purchased so should be rectified free of charge. A short test drive wouldn't have been sufficient to really notice this before purchase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in