Poor headlights on 207 hdi 1.6 sport - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-09-17, 10:59 AM   #1

Default Poor headlights on 207 hdi 1.6 sport

Hi guys this is my first post.
Ive owned an '06 207 hdi sport for few years
Lately noticing the dipped headlights are terrible at night
I have uploaded photos here, but my question is.... when the dipped headlights are on, i have 2 x fish eye lights on at the bottom of the headlight (close to bumper) this is the only light i have on.

Also in the headlight there is a big round cluster of 3 lights, inside there i have side lights (which is on dimly with dipped headlight)
The main beam which comes on when main beam is selected.
And another bulb which comes on when cornering

I have checked anotber 207 (which wasnt the sport version)
I asked her to put her dipped lights on... and the large cluster lit very brightly

When she put the main beam on the bottom fish eye lenses came on?!
I have taken it to peugeot yesterday they told me theyre ok
That the fish eye lense is the only one supposed to be on with dipped headlight?!
I have bought extra strength H7 bulbs for these lenses but they have not improved

Night driving is dangerous and im resorting to driving round with full beam on, but thr lights tilted down fully
Can someone shed some 'light' on this please

1st pic - my dipped beam
2nd pic ~wheel turned right (cornering light)
3rd pic~wheels stright full beam on
Attached Thumbnails
img_5905_1505901428865.jpg   img_5907_1505901448650.jpg   img_5908_1505901470785.jpg  
KinWills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-09-17, 05:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinWills View Post
Hi guys this is my first post.
Ive owned an '06 207 hdi sport for few years
Lately noticing the dipped headlights are terrible at night
I have uploaded photos here, but my question is.... when the dipped headlights are on, i have 2 x fish eye lights on at the bottom of the headlight (close to bumper) this is the only light i have on.

Also in the headlight there is a big round cluster of 3 lights, inside there i have side lights (which is on dimly with dipped headlight)
The main beam which comes on when main beam is selected.
And another bulb which comes on when cornering

I have checked anotber 207 (which wasnt the sport version)
I asked her to put her dipped lights on... and the large cluster lit very brightly

When she put the main beam on the bottom fish eye lenses came on?!
I have taken it to peugeot yesterday they told me theyre ok
That the fish eye lense is the only one supposed to be on with dipped headlight?!
I have bought extra strength H7 bulbs for these lenses but they have not improved

Night driving is dangerous and im resorting to driving round with full beam on, but thr lights tilted down fully
Can someone shed some 'light' on this please

1st pic - my dipped beam
2nd pic ~wheel turned right (cornering light)
3rd pic~wheels stright full beam on
I assume by fish eye you mean the projector lenses on the 'inner' position(as opposed to the reflectors of the 'outer' position?

How it's supposed to work:
Light states (front):
* all off
* side lights only
* dipped beam (side lights remain on)
* high beam (side lights as well as dipped beam stay on)
Not familiar with the cornering lights though.

Dipped beam remains on (comes on) along with the high beam on car with dual H7 bulbs (older cars with single H4 (dual filament) bulb turn off the dipped when high comes on so not to overheat the single bulb by running both filaments at the same time).

Sorry, bit hard to be 100% certain as to what you're saying/mean - Are you saying that yours vs her car used different bulbs/positions for the dipped vs main beams - ie one of the cars used the outer, reflector, position for dipped and he other car the inner, projector, lens? (If not, disregard the rest of this paragraph )
If so you, might be able to switch which connector, internally in the cluster, that goes to which of the H7 bulbs.
Might want to check that you dipped beams actually are... Park a meter or two from a wall when not full daylight and check that your dipped beams give flat pattern with a kick-up on the side of the road you drive on: sort-of like \____ for UK and _____/ for most other places.
Main beams should be higher and less restricted.

Poor brightness on otherwise correctly working lights could be due to voltage losses in the wiring and connectors (+12V feed and/or grounding), matted reflectors, or dirt on reflector/in projectors.
Old 30-09-17, 01:16 PM   #3

thanks for the reply,
what im trying to say is the only lights that are on when im driving with dipped beam in the AUTO LIGHTS mode is the projector lights

is this supposed to be like this ? on the 207 hdi sport

Old 02-10-17, 12:43 PM   #4

That doesn't look right to me. The dipped beam should be the outer lamps I think.

Roger.
Old 02-10-17, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyroger View Post
That doesn't look right to me. The dipped beam should be the outer lamps I think.

Roger.
Just double checked (don't trust my memory too much) on my 206 without projectors (so reflectors for both dipped and high), and the dipped beam is in the 'outer' position.

I'd check if it's possible (wires long enough etc) to swap which of the two H7 connectors in each light that connects to which bulb. IE, pull the plug off the inner bulb and put it on the outer bulb instead, and vice versa
If not possible one might be able to swap the two pins on the connector on the loom that connects to the housing(usually possible but requires special tool or thin/slim stiff pokey thing, like smallest screwdriver in a jewelers screwdriver kit or suitably sized needle, poked in from the 'contact side') to depress the little tab that locks the contact element into the plastic plug, before the element can be pulled out on the 'wire side'
Worst case, cut the wires in the loom and solder+shrink tube them back together crossed over...
Old 02-10-17, 06:16 PM   #6

The inner project lamps are dip beam. A common issue is incorrect fitted bulbs, due to reflector design if bulb is not 100% correctly seated the light output is drastically reduced
Old 03-10-17, 12:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy1603 View Post
The inner project lamps are dip beam. A common issue is incorrect fitted bulbs, due to reflector design if bulb is not 100% correctly seated the light output is drastically reduced
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyroger View Post

Roger.
OK, I stand corrected, thanks Windy.

Roger.
Old 04-10-17, 03:20 PM   #8

My guess is incorrectly seated bulbs as Rustyroger says. They're a pain in the arse to fit due to lack of space and incorrect fitting by an owner is no surprise at all! Can you believe that the Haynes manual actually recommends removal of the front bumper to fit bulbs? Incredible.
Davrobate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-17, 11:08 PM   #9

Thanks will check the seating of the bulbs
Old 05-03-18, 11:06 AM   #10

Default Poor dipped Headlights

Hi, did you ever come to a definitive conclusion on this issue?
I have the Peugeot 207cc HDI and to summarise the headlights are absolute shite!!... Not because anything is wrong, this is just the way they are.
I was informed / advised by RRG Peugeot (Oldham) to also put the fog lights on whenever you use your headlights
Hope this helps
Regards
jon
Jonnyhotpant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in