Peugeot Forums banner

Peugeot 207 CC GT Clutch / Judder issues

10K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  lozbloke 
#1 ·
Hello all!

I have just bought a 2008 Peugeot 207 CC 1.6 GT (120) with 55'000 miles on the clock. The clutch needs repair / replacing as gears are slipping on acceleration which I knew when I bought it, but have had a quote for £330 to replace.

My only other question is that the car also judders for about 5 / 10 mins after start up from cold but once warmed up, the juddering stops. Oil pressure looks fine (the needle is in the middle of the dial) and there is no overheating. The exhaust doesnt appear to be blowing dirty either.

Any suggestions as to what could be causing this? I do also have the usual Pollutant fault as well, so could that be related?

I have put a request out on the Pergeut Planet thread to see if anyone near me can come do a diagnostic too

Many thanks for your help folks -the car is excellent nick and good mileage for the year otherwise, so I just want to get these issues sorted!

#2 ·
Hi there........£330 to replace a clutch seems remarkably cheap, my 2008 207CC had a clutch replaced in Feb.2014 at a cost of £439 by A1 Clutches Birmingham. Also I think the oil pressure gauge your refering to is in fact an oil temperature gauge which was fitted to pre face-lift models to 2009.

Anyway here's hoping you sort you problems out, they are great fun to own when running right, then I'm probably biased.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply...yes just seen it's the oil temperature. Absolutely love it so far but will be better once the clutch is sorted.

Any idea what could be causing the juddering when cold? Seems to be OK when warmed up. The engine light is on as well (I've had the polution warning too)
Thanks again!

#5 ·
If it's clutch judder seems strange it's ok when warmed up.
Judder normally due to:
Clutch disc linings contaminated with oil.
Clutch disc linings excessively worn.
Distorted pressure plate.
Loose engine or gearbox mount.
Gearbox input shaft splines worn.

'Anti Pollution' warning is a general warning that something is wrong. There are so many threads in the forum's concerning this topic, I feel I have nothing useful to add.

#6 ·
That's fine about the Polution warning, I've seen it covered to death here. The juddering itself isn't when changing gear, feels more like it could be a misfire, but would a misfire sort itself once the engine has warmed up a bit? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I know nothing about cars!

#7 ·
Get the plugs changed they may not have been done and worn plugs can give these symptoms when cold as can the HP fuel pump

#9 ·
OK so I've just driven it about a mile and again stuttered. This time the fan kicked in and it finally stalled. I managed to restart it and limp it back home as it was just around the corner.
From what I can see, it wasn't overheating and had plenty of oil and coolant, so not sure if it could be the head gasket or not?

Any thoughts folks? Again any help gratefully appreciated!!!

#10 ·
Update - Checked the car again this morning which started first time,in but haven driven it obviously.
I've checked the oil and the coolant and both are fine, no loss at all. I've also checked the oil cap for any white substances but it's all clean, so it doesn't seem to be showing any traditional head gasket symptoms which was my first (panicked) thought. The car has never overheated either. Temperature gauges were as they should be despite the fan kicking in.

Again, any help is hugely appreciated!!

#14 ·
Took it to the local garage today who ran tests. Apparently a few errors came up, including the coil and the cat. They have cleared the fault messages in the computer and have advised to return the car as soon as the first fault message resurfaces so that they can identify the instigating issue, rather than rushing straight in, replacing the cat for instance (and costing more money in labour) and finding it was just the coil or plugs etc which could be the cheaper and accurate fix

#16 ·
If the engine has been dumping unburned fuel into the exhaust it may well have damaged the cat. However they aren't nearly as expensive as they used to be.
A google search should come up with a ballpark figure of what a garage might charge you for one. Allow them a little profit, they have overheads to meet.

Roger.

#17 ·
So I've now had the clutch and flywheel changed and the juddering stopped, even after being parked up and not turned over for several days.
However the depolution warning has now come on again today. I'm going to take it to the garage as they said to bring it back when the first error message came up.
The juddering though.....could the flywheel have caused that? It felt at the time more like a misfire but has stopped since the clutch and flywheel was replaced.

#18 ·
Dual mass flywheels make all kinds of nasty clonking noises and cause vibration as well, essential they are not properly balanced when they are shot, so a new clutch and flywheel ending all your juddering issues is no surprise.

Keep us up to date on what your garage finds with the depollution light please.

Roger.

#19 ·
Sorry for the late update! My mechanic has now replaced the coils etc but the judder is still occurring. He is stumped as to what is causing it after doing this but has said that he works with someone who is more knowledgable with these symptoms. However he won't be able to look at it for just over a week.

I've tried the Peugeot Planet thread on here but not had a response so I'm thinking I don't have anyone close to me to run a proper diagnosis. May have to take it to Peugeot for that.

The saga continues....

#20 ·
Update again!
The car has now had a diagnostic test by a chap that used to be a Peugeot mechanic. He has said that likely cause is the oxygen sensors and a possible need for a software update, but to take it to Peugeot to sort.
Fault codes after clearing was:
2196 - Upstream and Downstream sensor Coherence
Faults prior were:
2177 - Mixture regulation
0170 - Coherence
2196 - Upstream and Downstream engine sensor coherence
0135 - Upstream oxygen sensor heating control fault
0324 - ECU internal fault
2237 - Upstream oxygen sensor load resistance fault
0703 - brake pedal position signal
1694 - Coherence fault between engine starting and engine speed

He's recommend Peugeot to test oxygen sensors, test wiring and perform software update. Also advised of known camshaft dephaser unit issue.

Does this all sound like simply some sensor issues and a possible light at the end of the tunnel with my engine issues?

Thanks in advance!

#21 ·
if not water in wires i would be looking at swapping just the pre cat lambda, if the sensor heater is broke car will be running in pre set conditions and throw a bunch of codes.
the bad news is the pre cat sensor costs a few quid, unlike the post cat which is the cheaper one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.