Peugeot 207 2008, Engine Clicking Noise and Oil Consumption - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-06-17, 12:13 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Peugeot 207 2008, Engine Clicking Noise and Oil Consumption

Hello Peugeot Forums,

I have a problem with a 1.4 Peugeot 207 Sport, Model year 2008.

I bought the car 5 months ago from a dealer in the North of England, it had a full service history and MOT history which showed no faults at all with the car and had 56k miles on the odometer. Since then I have driven an extra 5000 miles to bring the odometer to just under 61k miles.

About 1 month after buying the car the radio tuner screen showed a 'Check Engine Oil Level' when I started the car, so I topped it up with 5w-30 (I cant remember if this is the name, but I know at the time it was definitely the correct oil). Since that day I have put just about 6Ltr of oil in (checking the oil level ~weekly and topping up as required), a couple of times the Warning came on again but if that happened it was topped up immediately. I understand that this is within the manufacturers reccomended levels (however it seems like a lot to me haha).

After putting about 4 Ltrs of oil in I thought there might be a problem with the engine and took the car back to the garage where I bought it as I also purchased a 6month autoguard warranty. The mechanic there had the car all day and next day told me he found no leaks under the engine and also that he took it to an MOT station to check if the car was burning oil (which he said it wasnt). He did however tell me to bring the car back in next time I was in the area if the oil light came on again, it came back on after about 3 weeks. However I live fairly far away from the garage so could not bring it in to see him.

Last week the car started making a loud clicking/tapping noise. The noise gets faster as you rev the engine, and seems to stop after a high engouh amount of revs (Although this might be because the noise is so fast it blurs away). I will admit, I did still drive the car the next day to work and back (about 2 miles). I took it to my mates garage yesterday to have a look at it and he told me the two problems (oil level and tapping noise) are definitely related which I did think was logical, he did not open the engine up but he said he was 90% sure that it was 'Tappet rings around the piston' or that there was a problem with the bottom of the engine, if that was the case then he said the car was basically a write off. I also have the car booked into a Halfords Autocentre on Monday where they are gonna do a full investigatory check on the engine and call the garage I bought it from to advise.

I hoped someone on here who knows more about cars (This is my first car) might give me some insight to what the problem might be, and if it would be expensive to fix it. I have a warranty on the car for another 2 weeks after which I am worried Im going to be left high and dry.

Here is a Youtube link to a video of the noise:www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=B4fahX2gPl4&feature=youtu.be

REPLACE (dot) in video

Sorry for wall of text Summary:

Peugeot 207 Sport 1.4 2008
Oil Level depleting quickly
Clicking noise from engine block (possibly piston rings/Tappet Rings?)

Last edited by PeugeotPetey; 23-06-17 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Youtube Link Added
PeugeotPetey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-06-17, 01:07 PM   #2

Hi petey,

Sorry i can't really help as like you i know next to nothing about cars but having owned the same car as you for a year now (also first car) i would highly recommend you buying either a cheap OBD2 reader or better still peugeot planet software that will enable you to read fault codes. Also check the map on here to see if there is anyone close by that can run a check.

The number of times my car has needed something in this past year has been ridiculous but sometimes i have just read a fault code, posted the results on here (or googled) and it has turned out to be a sensor (10 and changed myself) or something equally as small.

So might be worth a try before you pay out for expensive diagnostics etc at 40 a time etc. as people on here are very knowledgeable and could help you find problems before you start spending serious .

btw my car uses about 1ltr of oil per 1000 miles. Any other symptoms such as anti pollution fault displaying etc?

Good luck.

Last edited by scoey1001; 23-06-17 at 01:13 PM.
scoey1001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-06-17, 01:20 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks for the reply Scoey,

No other problems that I know of so far.

Ill check out the OBD2 reader they are pretty cheap on amazon.

I know the oil consumption is within guidelines it just seemed like a lot for a 1.4 car

Cheers

Old 23-06-17, 01:22 PM   #4

Btw if you still have warranty why take it to halfords instead of the garage you bought it from? how far away is it? surely better to take it there if you can.

Also like i say i don't know a great deal about cars but your mate saying 'problem with the bottom of the engine' and that it might be a write off without even opening the bonnet seems a bit suspect to say the least.
scoey1001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-06-17, 01:36 PM   #5

You've probably got the 1.4vti same as mine,it's the same engine as used in a Mini One.Mine drinks oil,I've had it over 3 years and always have a bottle in the boot just in case.I believe it doesn't burn oil as such but its just how the vti system works.As for the tapping noise I'd check simple things first
e.g https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...petrol-216121/
Good luck.
shep64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-06-17, 01:42 PM   #6

IF its the Mini engine the look here for basic maintainace,just select Mini One
https://teon.co/
shep64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-06-17, 01:53 PM   #7
Inactive User

Sorry I didnt mean that, he did open the bonnet and have a look inside for a good 20 minutes. I didnt want the engine to be taken apart to check because I have to take it the Halfords on Monday to do a full check, the Halfords will do the work under the warranty I have. The garage I bought it from is about 200 miles away which I dont feel comfortable driving with the car in its current state.
Old 29-06-17, 11:56 AM   #8
Inactive User

So the garage reckons its the bearings in the water pump and something to do with the timing belt which is a fairly easy fix. Does this sound like it could be correct?

Two other garages told me it sounds like something a lot more serious
Old 31-05-19, 12:57 PM   #9

Hello Petey
Did you resolve the problems and what was that ?
Tnx
Ivano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-05-19, 02:18 PM   #10

If it's a VTI engine there is no timing belt it's a chain so I would question the garages diagnosis

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
hargaR1 likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in