Parent's 207 SW - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-17, 01:59 PM   #1

Default Parent's 207 SW

Hi All, first post here but a very frequent user of another car forum (rrsport.co.uk). My parents are having problems with their 2008 207 SW, the steering intermittently becomes heavy with dashboard warnings "ABS, anti pollution, power steering all flashes on" (Mum's words), also "brake system fault stop the car" (Mum's words again) which are cleared when they restart the car but come back again after x-number of miles. They went to their local indie garage who said they'll probably need a new ABS pump and quoted, with labour, 800. Parents are now in despair.

Dad called the Peugeot garage this morning who say that the car will not accept a reconditioned ABS unit it has to be new and exact same part number. I have investigated the problem and was sure, until now, that any unit could be fitted, new or used, as long as the part number matched. Are Peugeot telling porkies, or are they right about this?

I got my Dad to check fuse box for corrosion and water ingress, both clear according to him.

Can anyone please give us any non-commercial words of wisdom? I suggested to Dad to start with the cheapest option first, whatever that may be? I'm fairly adept at fixing car problems, changed cambelt on a range rover sport along with hubs and fuel pumps, new to Peugeot but if you give any advice I'm confident that I can follow it.

Many thanks / Luke
LukeMcL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-17, 03:20 PM   #2

its the kind of job where you first need to swap the abs ecu, i matched the part number and got a used one of ebay (with a short guarantee)

the ecu will just unscrew off the pump so try that first, if fault doesnt clear you may need to change the pump also, but 9/10 just the ecu part will need swapping.

clean the electric plug and try and seal it from water getting in.

no coding needed.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-17, 05:25 PM   #3

i would check all battery connections and battery condition first, very simerla problem on our citreon when the battery was failing
pauls0701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-17, 05:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripe88 View Post
its the kind of job where you first need to swap the abs ecu, i matched the part number and got a used one of ebay (with a short guarantee)

the ecu will just unscrew off the pump so try that first, if fault doesnt clear you may need to change the pump also, but 9/10 just the ecu part will need swapping.

clean the electric plug and try and seal it from water getting in.

no coding needed.
I read somewhere that the replacement ecu would need to be shipped off to be recoded, is this only then for ecu's that do not match the part number? If so, I'm assuming that we could contact a breakers yard for a ABS unit that matches our part number and start by switching ecu units?
Thanks
Old 11-09-17, 05:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauls0701 View Post
i would check all battery connections and battery condition first, very simerla problem on our citreon when the battery was failing
good point, land rovers are also awful when it comes to this!
Old 11-09-17, 06:56 PM   #6

yes check battery voltage first, and double check for water in the loom, remove battery lead and pull plugs from ecu and fusebox, check for any green corrosion.

the replacement ecu does not need recoding, get the number from the ecu not the pump itself.
Old 13-09-17, 07:49 AM   #7

Default abs ecu

just match the numbers on the pump ecu.
i had to change the pump on a citroen that had different numbers.
it was not a problem,apart from it being a hard job.
marrygold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-09-17, 10:20 AM   #8

yes its been said that a ecu pump with a different number will work (if off the same car) but could be a gamble.
i would swap lile for like if possible, i see used units range from 25-170 on ebay, so may get lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in