P0597 Piloted Thermostat Control Fault - Intermittent A/C Cooling - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-05-18, 05:36 AM   #1

Arrow P0597 Piloted Thermostat Control Fault - Intermittent A/C Cooling

I’ve got a 207 THP 150 that’s always had a pretty weak AC. It works but barely - on really hot days it’s performance was like an asthmatic blowing at me thoUgh a straw - to quote Jeremy Clarkson.

But it looks like now it’s really on its last legs.

The compressor often won’t engage (no click) and when it does it barely gets cold. It’s cold here with only 18 deg C or so and when I measure the air coming out of the vents it’s no more than 4-6 deg C, so you can imagine how bad it is on actual hot days.

I’ve never diagnosed an AC problem before so I would appreciate some pointers on what to do next. I’ve checked all the hoses, condenser etc they all looks good with no visible damage. This is a 11 year old car so is it possible it just needs a regas?

Additionally I scanned the car and it has this code P0597 stored; but there are no warnings or check engine lights or anything on the dash. Would this cause th system to not run the compressor? Even if so that doesn’t really explain why the AC has always sucked - takes ages to cool down and when it does cool it doesn’t do a very good job.

What are my next steps?
bung206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-05-18, 07:59 AM   #2

It could be low on gas - there is a switch which will prevent the compressor running if the pressure is very low. Perhaps yours is on the brink.
IanML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-05-18, 03:07 PM   #3

There was a thread on here a few months ago if i remember correctly with a similar fault and changing the thermostat cured the non working A/C

Old 19-05-18, 05:45 AM   #4

Exclamation

Just found this thread. Might just swap out the thermostat and see what happens.

The symptoms this guy is having is similar to mine. I did my coolant exactly the same as he did.

Peugeot 207 1.6 VTI EP6 Engine Cooling Issues
Old 19-05-18, 10:32 AM   #5

get it gas checked first, if the compressor is engaging but airflow is poor it will have nothing to do with the stat.

i have had same on cars in the past, one went cool then warmer then cooler etc and a simple regas was needed.
another just had poor airflow due to it not having gas for a few years and seals drying out in compressor, a good used one sorted that.
stripe88 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-05-18, 07:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripe88 View Post
get it gas checked first, if the compressor is engaging but airflow is poor it will have nothing to do with the stat.

i have had same on cars in the past, one went cool then warmer then cooler etc and a simple regas was needed.
another just had poor airflow due to it not having gas for a few years and seals drying out in compressor, a good used one sorted that.
This ^^

and check your a/c cabin filter is not blocked up...
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-05-18, 09:02 PM   #7

This is aa link to the tech update about themostat fault and air-con not working for info. Lack of engine power does not always apply

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/AC_P...gine_Power.pdf
Old 26-05-18, 03:33 AM   #8

Will this thermostat do the job?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Citro...UAAOSwdDpZd54y
Old 26-05-18, 08:32 AM   #9

It states it is Part No 1332 Z6. This part has a removable temp. sensor and is specified for 207s with RPO (build date code) less than 12351, which means before 2 Sept 2010. The RPO is usually on a label on the driver's door pillar. If you can't find it, post the last 8 digits of your VIN.

If your RPO is 12351 or greater, you need 1332 CC, which has an integrated temp. sensor.
IanML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-05-18, 09:57 AM   #10

P0597 from Peugeot Service box tech info suggests the suspect areas as thermostat, engine ecu, wiring harness.

The likely customer complaints is lack of power at high altitude and Possibility of deactivating the air conditioning compressor (declutching) which believe is one of the issues your experiencing.

If was on my car I would be changing the thermostat initially, clearing the fault code and see the results.
ADS77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in