Oil in coolant reservoir - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-04-19, 07:45 PM   #1

Default Oil in coolant reservoir

Car: Peugeot 207 1.4 8v 2009

Evening chaps,

I noticed some oil in coolant reservoir a while back and the coolant itself also looked old. I flushed the coolant several times and refilled with new coolant after also cleaning out lots of gunge from the hoses. A couple of months later the oil in the reservoir has returned, even more so than before. The colour is now a consistent light dirty brown.

Is it time to take it in to get the head gasket checked or is there anything I could check myself first?

Thanks

Last edited by shinhoman; 30-04-19 at 07:48 PM.
shinhoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-19, 03:02 PM   #2

You might try taking the oil filler cap off and seeing if there is any gunge in there because coolant should be getting in the oil as well. Apart from a crack in the block between the galleries which would be very unusual it really does seem like a head gasket problem. Look for yellowish, frothy egg-yolky stuff under the rocker cover....but I am sure you already know that.
Best of luck.
Davrobate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-19, 03:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davrobate View Post
You might try taking the oil filler cap off and seeing if there is any gunge in there because coolant should be getting in the oil as well. Apart from a crack in the block between the galleries which would be very unusual it really does seem like a head gasket problem. Look for yellowish, frothy egg-yolky stuff under the rocker cover....but I am sure you already know that.
Best of luck.
Thanks for the reply. There is no gunge on the oil filler cap, and there didnt seem to be any in the old oil when i did an oil and filter change the other week.

Old 01-05-19, 07:24 PM   #4

if there is no water in your oil the problem is probably due to a hairline crack in the head gasket between the cylinder and a coolant gallery. The oil pressure is much higher there which means the leak is only one way....oil to coolant. A crack in the block would always allow some water into the oil when the engine was not running. There is always residual pressure in the cylinders which would keep the coolant from flowing the other way.

Fairly sure it will be the head gasket.
Davrobate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-19, 08:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davrobate View Post
if there is no water in your oil the problem is probably due to a hairline crack in the head gasket between the cylinder and a coolant gallery. The oil pressure is much higher there which means the leak is only one way....oil to coolant. A crack in the block would always allow some water into the oil when the engine was not running. There is always residual pressure in the cylinders which would keep the coolant from flowing the other way.

Fairly sure it will be the head gasket.
Cheers pal! That's a great help. Is it best to stay away from the repair sealant type products?
Old 19-05-19, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinhoman View Post
Cheers pal! That's a great help. Is it best to stay away from the repair sealant type products?
So this problem is still persisting. I completed a compression test and all cylinders had a fairly consistent reading of around 9.5 bar which I believe is okay?

Are there any other oil-coolant interfaces that could be causing the oil to get into the coolant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in