Not starting after replacing timing chain - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-17, 08:41 AM   #1

Default Not starting after replacing timing chain

Hi, I changed my timing chain and now my car will not start.
Splutters a bit but will not start. I used the timing tools, pegged the crank, installed the cam chain tensioner tool and the camshaft inlet and exhaust locking tools. Think I locked the dephaser pulleys (pulleys move with the cam both clockwise and anti clockwise). Believe I followed the manual. Got me stumped. How critical is the alignment? I would have thought if it was out a small amount that the car would still start but maybe run rough but it doesn't start at all. When I disconnect the fuel line I see the line is being pressurised. I pulled the valve cover back off and reinstalled the timing tools with the chain tensioner installed and all looks good. I tried starting the car without the air filter on, wouldn't have thought that would be an issue. I keep thinking its something to do with the dephaser pulleys. Any ideas?
207 petrol 1.6 VTi 16v 120 (EP6)
evyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-17, 08:53 AM   #2

Is the key still being recognised do the beep test
Old 02-10-17, 04:30 PM   #3

Quote:
(pulleys move with the cam both clockwise and anti clockwise)
a bit confused, when i did this job each pulley will move just one way then the spring inside will pull it back.
i found this a little awkward so i locked the cams and used a wedge of pine between the teeth just to stop it moving around.

but as long as the camshaft flats are up and the crank pin goes in it should start.

worth a reset though.
stripe88 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-17, 06:23 PM   #4

I would double check you have fitted sprockets correctly, did you leave them loose and fit the timing tensioner tool then tighten etc.

If you do not have the full guide have a browse or buy this months Car Mechanics Magazine as they have just changed the chain on a 207 project car and it has a step by step guide with pictures which maybe a good reference
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in