Peugeot Forums banner

New battery needed

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  eyemdee 
#1 ·
My battery is on its way out so I am going to replace it.

But I have a couple of questions.

#1 -- how to remove the OEM varta battery? I removed the terminals and expected the battery to lift out but it simply would not budge. I know there is a little release lever on the side of the battery box, I pulled it as far as it would go but the battery would not budge. When I try to lift the battery out, it feels like it is catching on something that is inside the battery box, diagnoally opposite to the readily accessible release lever.

Is there something else holding it in place?

#2 -- what is a suitable replacement battery? I have been told as long as I get one that is similiar in size and the battery posts line up I should be fine -- is this right? Are there any special capacity sizing considerations to be taken into account because of all the extra (CAN bus) equipment in the car?

Any help appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
I can't speak for the 207 engine bay but on the 307 its a good idea to take off the air box then the battery cover.

There's a little metal clamp holding the battery onto the base of the battery tray:

As for battery type, put your reg into Euro Car Parts and you'll be sorted.

They've usually got a 25% discount code working so you can get a good branded battery for at least £25 cheaper than usual suppliers.

SERVICE25 is the current code.

#4 ·
After pricing up all the options (Here in NZ) I found that an aftermarket battery from a third party shop would cost approx $190-$200 at least, and then I'd have to fit it.

I called the dealership and they said they'd fit one for me for $235, so I took them up on it.

Also, I watched the procedure, the guy didn't follow the 'bsi sleep procedure' at all, just ripped out the battery and threw a new one in :eek:

Thanks for the help guys!

#6 · (Edited)
It's a nice place, but everything is expensive as hell. When pressed as to why, the answer is "Because we are a small country far away from everything", however the real answer is price gouging by distributors.

I end up importing most things but for some items (such as a heavy battery) or something you need in a hurry it is not practical to import.

Although, the most irritating thing out of all this is the perception that European cars (Peugeots, BMW etc) are 'unreliable' and 'more expensive to service', and the independent garages have caught wind of this and the second they see the peugeot badge your repair bill gets a 50-80% margin get added on. I wish I was joking.

Back when I had my 206, I was charged $300 NZD by an independent garage for a service that included an oil and filter change (they probably used the nastiest mineral oil as well). They also didn't bother to use a genuine filter.

I dread the day when I need any major work that is beyond my abilities done.

#8 ·
Yes jap stuff commands a preimum here. It's ridiculous considering the total lack of features etc compared to the euro counterpart.

I import mainly places such as the forums and eBay. Got myself a cruise control stick from the forum, and then imported Peugeot planet from eBay (a guy in Hong Kong) to activate it.

I am in the process of trying to import an entire dashboard because mine has warped up from the heat. Local wreckers want over $1000 for the dashboard for the and then I would have to find someone competent to fit it which would be another $500 at least.

#9 ·
Here's how to get the battery out

No one seems to have answered the problem of how to get the battery out of a 207 so here's how I did it.

First it took me ages to discover how to disconnect the positive terminal until I realised it was a quick release activated by lifting up the red plastic tab. Doh!

OK. This is for a right hand drive 207 and I am standing in front of the car leaning over the engine compartment.

The problem seems to be that the Haynes manual reckons the battery should just lift out if you release the securing lever on the right and tilt the top of the battery towards the engine ie to the left, but it doesn't, because the bit that sticks out on the bottom left of the battery is lodged underneath some plastic lugs and it is not possible to get enough tilt to release it.

The solution is to lift out the ECU which is the lump immediately to the left of the battery.
It is not difficult to do this and I did it without disconnecting the big connectors on the top of the ECU because I was removing the battery with a power supply connected to the terminals so I wouldn't lose radio info or have problems with alarms and stuff. (Don't know how important this is). If you are happy to disconnect the ECU it will be even easier.

It helps a lot to take the yellow cap off the brake fluid reservoir just above the ECU. Then the ECU assembly lifts/slides up out of the battery box with a bit of wiggling. If the connectors are still connected, once clear, rotate the ECU clockwise and lay it horizontally.

Now with the securing lever released, tilt the top of the battery to the left and slide the whole battery slightly to the right so it clears the bottom lugs, and it can be lifted out.

#10 ·
I have just acquired a 2011 207CC and may have the same problem but I cannot see how to remove the gubbins on top of the battery case. There is a small cover at the front which opens to access the +ve terminal but I cannot find the -ve terminal at all. There is a plastic plate containing some additional cabling fitted to the top of the battery case which is not shown in the manual or Haynes and I cannot immediately see how it removes. Any help appreciated! :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.