New 207 XS Sport (150ps) cam chain query - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-08-15, 11:29 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default New 207 XS Sport (150ps) cam chain query

Greetings!

I have recently become the new owner of a 2008 207 XS sport 1.6 turbo (prince ep6dt). Has around 40,000 miles on with decent service history, including a cam chain replacement at ~33,000 miles.

This is what my first post is questioning really, I have receipts to show that the chain, guides and tensioner were all replaced around October 2013. It was with an independent garage so im not sure about part numbers etc. Seeing as it was 2013, I am assuming the tensioner fitted would likely be the updated version? The car is quite noisy when cold, revs fine, no significant power losses under acceleration (i eliminated this issue with a new map sensor). No errors are showing on the display (i.e anti-pollution) and a cheap OBD reader I have also shows no stored error codes. The noise just worries me slightly as it wouldnt be a cheap fix.

Based on this, do i therefore have anything to worry about? I cant think of any car which could go through 2 chains and associated gubbins (tensioner and guides) within 10,000 miles but the forums seem to be full of this exact issue! I did research before i bought it but i assumed it would be fine due to the fairly recent replacement. I know its hard to judge without seeing the car but i thought i would ask.
adam19952013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-08-15, 11:34 AM   #2

yes it could be anything, could always get a garage to check the chain but should be fine at that milage.

personally i would take out a parts/labour warrantee if you dont already have one, just peace of mind.

the chain looks like its come of a childs bicycle, guess it doesnt have to be to meaty because of the 4-1 ratio with the cam gear, still think i would have used something a little better if i had designed a engine.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-08-15, 11:52 AM   #3

Any engine that NEEDS a chain replaced at 33k miles is seriously badly designed !

Even a belt lasts longer than that

Im no expert but I think the real issue is with the guides tensioner etc rather than the chain as these seem to be made of chocolate yes the chains are very small bike like indeed but that is all that is needed IF the associated parts are up to the job.

corsa engines fiat 1.3 diesel engines micra and almera engines all suffer chain related issues and its mostly the tensioners and guides that cause it

Old 16-08-15, 12:59 PM   #4
Inactive User

I was debating a warranty but the ones I looked at all excluded the tensioner, which for this model is apparently the main culprit. The cheapest warranty I found was 280 a year and as the tensioner is excluded im not sure if it would be worth it for this issue alone.

Since it has done less than 8,000 miles since its last chain replacement, I cant imagine that it is worn significantly. I know the THP prince engines are naturally noisy at idle so would the most sensible course of action to be just monitor for error/fault codes? I havent heard of any chains snapping completely and an anti-pollution fault should show up if the timing is affected, am I right?

Not that it is of any major significance but the car has been serviced every year (even though it says 2 years in the handbook, which is rediculous) so this should minimise the risk of the tensioner clogging with gunk? To be fair, it burns oil quite quickly so the oil in it most of the time is fairly new. (It has used approx 1L in 2000 miles which i'm told is 'normal'.) Like i said, as it was an independent garage im not sure whether the tensioner was pre or post mod which apparently solved most of these issues.

I appreciate the input as im new to these engines after owning a simple corsa for a fair few years.
Old 16-08-15, 05:29 PM   #5

may be worth getting a stethoscope, try to confirm where any rattles are comming from, may just be cam noise.

if the tensioner is as easy to swap as the vti, may be worth swapping it out for a new one.
Old 16-08-15, 05:42 PM   #6

Over the years I have had this problem and Nissan comes to mind straight away .
Now was it an " after market kit " or Original equipment ? that was fitted Odds are after market kit , some of these kits do have cheap made tensioners and do not seem to last long , but as one poster has said get a professonal mechanic to give you his opinion but replacement of the tensioner is quite straight forward so not to big a job .

If you are a person who knows what they are doing fine if not please do not try this yourself ok you could damage the engine .
OldCodgger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-08-15, 06:23 PM   #7
Inactive User

thanks for the help guys.

this is what my car sounds like at idle.

https://youtu.be/mMLIMuSkxtE

the main noise which worries me slightly is between 1:30 and about 1:50 on the above video.

the tensioner was invoiced at around 40, not sure whether that is a good quality one or not, i would presume aftermarket as stated above.

how would a mechanic be able to say whether its just the tensioner without taking the whole thing apart? i dont want to have to pay for a mechanic to check it and find its okay.
Old 16-08-15, 06:31 PM   #8
Inactive User

it is worth me stating that the noise isnt quite as loud as the video. its only just audible without lifting the bonnet, then its a bit more noticable with the bonnet up only from the drivers front wing area
Old 17-08-15, 10:39 AM   #9

the tensioner is external, so not as bigger job as you may think, airbox off throttle body off, a few pipes and wires moved and it can be unscrewed.(45mins? )

you may be able to tell straight away if its weak as after the initial break you should not be able to unscrew it by hand.
when i did the daughters the old tensioner would screw in/out by hand but the new one needed ratcheting all the way.

when its out get your garage to check the chain for stretching, its just a little gizmo you put in the tensioner hole and screw it by hand, any decent garage should be able to do this.
Old 17-08-15, 01:27 PM   #10

have seen timing chains go at 5k so 33k is not too bad.

u really need to have the oil filled to the max at all times, so it cools the chain, if low oil the chain isn't cooled and lubed as should be and then stretches due to the heat, that's where the stretching of chain occurs.

as for the tensioner, please please please don't attempt to do this by yourself or any garage who doesn't have the Peugeot cam shaft locking tool, some lads tried this themselves and within 2 months they blew there engine up,

blow the engine ur looking 3k repair bill! instead of 700 quid full timing replacement at a Peugeot dealer.

only way to check timing is measuring the chain as stripe88 says but u torque it up to such a low setting u need a special torque wrench or torque screwdriver.
ADS77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in