Multiple Issues, garage advising expensive fix after previous failure to fix. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-12-17, 10:36 PM   #1

Default Multiple Issues, garage advising expensive fix after previous failure to fix.

Hi guys. I would love a second opinion as I have lost faith in my garage.

I have a 2008 Peugeot 207 1.4 Petrol with multiple issues. 64 miles on the clock.

Issues I'm having include:

1. Sluggish pulling away.
2. Check Oil Warning (I have correct amount of oil). Also sometimes a stop light comes on with a matching oil symbol and then disappears.
2. Anti Pollution Fault Warning.
3. Engine Management light on.
4. Rough idle with head lights flickering in time with noise coming from engine.

Initially the garage read the fault codes and diagnosed the engine to be misfiring. So they replaced the coils and spark plugs.

This failed to make any difference.

They also advised I get the timing chain changed as this was most likely the cause of the rough idle, saying that the oil pump might be connected, thus the oil warning.

They have quoted me 500 to change the chain. However before I go ahead with this, I would love a second opinion.

After some reading, I've not seen anyone mention of the timing chain causing these issues. Perhaps the ECU, or Alternator?

Thanks in advance to any light anyone can shed.
DanCundy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-12-17, 10:50 PM   #2

first of all I would get a planet read done by a local member to ascertain fault codes.
without that advice would be pissing in the wind!
https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...gnostic-28190/
greegor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-12-17, 10:57 PM   #3

Problem is many problems on this engine will give you a missfire code it does not always mean its coil or plug related i have 1 here with 35k miles and it has a missfire with a code for no1 i changed the coil made no difference plugs made no difference timing seems fine it does have a rough idle but its bound to with a missfire !!

I think my cat has collapsed due to the owner keeping driving it with the miss but im not wasting time on it as car is for parts anyway.

Old 29-12-17, 10:33 AM   #4

Hi. I have the same car as you (assume it's VTI engine as you mentioned chain) and have had a few of these symptoms. STOP oil pressure low etc. on mine was the oil pressure switch needed replacing.

I also had rough idle (coupled with anti pollution/engine management light) which got so bad the car would just cut out). Now sorry I can't remember what the fault codes were but it turned out the timing was out and i needed a new chain kit. This cost me 600 including oil change. At the time I was told dephaser pulleys would also need doing but I couldn't afford it straight away so I had the chain done and this made a massive difference but it still idled a little rough on start-up.

Few months later I got the dephaser pulleys changed for around 200. Also needed a new solenoid valve at 50 which I fitted myself. This fully cured the issue no more rough idling no more lights etc. However came at a cost as you can see.

If I had to do this again id probably buy a genuine chain kit including pulleys from eBay (hardie of larbert main dealers sell on there and are excellent value) and get someone I trusted to fit it to save a few hundred.

As someone mentioned though I would try and obtain the codes first and post them on here. Good luck and keep us updated.
scoey1001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in