MOT Fail - Parts help! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-02-18, 02:25 PM   #1

Default MOT Fail - Parts help!

Hi all,

I have a 2008 207 1.4 vti (EP3) engine which has just failed it's MOT on the following;

1. Coil spring broken nearside rear (2.4.c.1a)

2. Front constant velocity joint gaiter insecure to the extent that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt etc. offside (2.5.c.1a)

The tester said the CV joint just needed a new clip? He quoted 100 for both bits doing but couldn't do the work until next week.

Can anyone help me find the clip he is talking about online? thanks

Last edited by scoey1001; 15-02-18 at 02:30 PM.
scoey1001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-02-18, 02:48 PM   #2

All depends if you are confident to fit them and have the correct tooling ?

Motor factors will have the parts
I would advise on a pair of new springs ... just my opinion
You can get those steel clips that crimp , but I normally buy a pack of ten as it takes me two goes so I am happy , as refitting to greasy worn parts sometimes things move / slip seen people use plastic tie wraps
you need to clean inside the boot well of grease so it gets a grip on the CV joint to rubber cover

Check online for prices ?
Other garages can do the work ... and take it back for free retest MOT on failed items
Does this still apply ? with the new MOT regs ? if you remove from test station
I assume so as some don't carry out repairs ?
Clansman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-02-18, 02:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clansman View Post
All depends if you are confident to fit them and have the correct tooling ?

Motor factors will have the parts
I would advise on a pair of new springs ... just my opinion
You can get those steel clips that crimp , but I normally buy a pack of ten as it takes me two goes so I am happy , as refitting to greasy worn parts sometimes things move / slip seen people use plastic tie wraps
you need to clean inside the boot well of grease so it gets a grip on the CV joint to rubber cover

Check online for prices ?
Other garages can do the work ... and take it back for free retest MOT on failed items
Does this still apply ? with the new MOT regs ? if you remove from test station
I assume so as some don't carry out repairs ?
Hi thanks for the response.

Plan was to save time/few quid and pick up the parts and get a bloke i know to fit them (backstreet mechanic).

MOT tester stated he would carry out the free retest as long as i came back within 10 days, regardless of who did the work.

Old 15-02-18, 03:25 PM   #4

Yes no problems that the point of the forums to help

Motor factors then ... I am sure they will have a universal clip for cv boot if you ask

Would think of changing both springs , might be easier too for mechanic
don't think they will be expensive

put you reg in Euro parts for prices to compare
Local motor factors are usually better prices
Old 15-02-18, 03:47 PM   #5

we have had the same in the past, both the original clips split so swapped with jubelee clips (bq plumbing section) although do agree original are better as they put just the right amount of tension on the boot, repack lost greace.

also had rear spring swap, easy enough but you do need compressors as the lower arm doesnt clear, on the cc at least. bottom of the springs rust away and snap the end bit.

not a bad mot though, i would be pleased.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-02-18, 04:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripe88 View Post
we have had the same in the past, both the original clips split so swapped with jubelee clips (bq plumbing section) although do agree original are better as they put just the right amount of tension on the boot, repack lost greace.

also had rear spring swap, easy enough but you do need compressors as the lower arm doesnt clear, on the cc at least. bottom of the springs rust away and snap the end bit.

not a bad mot though, i would be pleased.
Cheers Stripe, do you know what size jubilee clips i'd need? Spoke to Euros and they do a universal kit with the boot and clips for 9.

Also, what would be the labour time to do one spring?
Old 15-02-18, 07:22 PM   #7

would just get your head under and use a peice of string to give a rough size, or go to peugeot and buy original.

spring took under a hour, just wheel off, shock bolt off, compress spring with one compressor bolt up (wheel side) and one down (petrol tank side) this leaves room to work without fowling bodywork.
even then i had to get someone to stand on the hub to free the spring.
thats the cc, yours may be even easier.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-02-18, 08:08 PM   #8

If you have axle stands get rear or car on two stands remove both wheels and undo lower shock bolt and whole axle will drop enough to change springs without need for compressor etc, then just use jack under spring platform to jack axle up slightly to refit shock bolts.

Peugeot don't sell just the clip you can only buy a complete boot kit, Any good motor factors should be able to sell you a clip but you really need the proper tool to crimp (some people use a pair of nips)

If you use a jubilee clip you need to be careful as there is not a lot of clearance on the 207 between the CV Joint and ball joint bolt
Old 15-02-18, 10:25 PM   #9

Thanks Stripe/Windy.

Ended up buying spring and boot kit from euros for 25. Will try and sort CV joint tomorrow and hope it just needs the clips. Could you send me a link to the sort of crimping tool I need Windy?

As for coil spring I will try and get a local garage to fit it. Hours labour not bad.
Old 16-02-18, 09:26 AM   #10

I suppose Windy is talking about a proper banding tool
You see them on Ebay for about 12
Never seen a jubilee clip repair ... maybe due to my cars are close fitting cv to other static parts .... outer CV anyway

I don't have the proper tool ... hence my attempts are never work 1st time
Clamps are on Ebay too

I just wonder if you did buy two springs ? would the labour rate still be the same ?

If your willing to buy a clamp that you may never use again ?
why not just spend it on a spring and let the mechanic sort both jobs ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in