Mot check - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shep64

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-06-15, 04:56 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Mot check

I've just picked car up from garage and as you do I've done full mot history check
Here is list (it's had tyres etc but little concerned bout brakes as advisory,would they have been done on the full service?
Date of test:
15/06/2015
Certificate issue refused (Fail)

Odometer reading:
39,423 Miles
Test number:
Test station name:
ARTHURS OF WREXHAM - PEUGEOT
Test station number:
8784A3
Test station telephone number:
Test class:
IV
Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate

Offside Rear rear brake binding (3.7.B.1)

Nearside Front Front constant velocity joint gaiter damaged to the extent that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt etc (2.5.C.1a)

Offside Front Front constant velocity joint gaiter damaged to the extent that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt etc (2.5.C.1a)

Advisory Notice issued

Nearside Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)

Offside Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)

Offside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Offside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Front brake pads 70% worn

Rear silencer hanger corroded away from pipe

Date of test:
17/06/2015
Certificate issued (Pass)

Odometer reading:
39,423 Miles
Test number:
Test station name:
ARTHURS OF WREXHAM - PEUGEOT
Test station number:
8784A3
Test station telephone number:
Test class:
IV
Test expiry date:
16/06/2016
Advisory Notice issued

Nearside Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)

Offside Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)

Offside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Offside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Front brake pads 70% worn

Rear silencer hanger corroded away from pipe
cips007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-06-15, 05:06 PM   #2
Inactive User

That's about the most ambiguous advise I have ever seen and it really needs the MOT tester to explain what it means. The general rule of thumb regarding brakes is that when the car is up for a service that requires the brakes to be examined, like a major service, the discs and pads should be in a condition that they will remain serviceable until the next service that requires the brakes to be inspected. If there is any doubt they should be replaced, if the discs are replaced then the pads must be as well. How many miles has the car done since the last service? That advise doesn't actually specify what is wrong with them and could even be someone touting for work as has happened to me.

Last edited by renegade; 18-06-15 at 05:11 PM.
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-06-15, 05:16 PM   #3

Reads like a blank cheque request to me.If you've had a recent major service the brake condition should have been picked up as should all the other "advisories".
renegade likes this.
shep64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 18-06-15, 07:40 PM   #4
Inactive User

My brake discs are badly scored and have been since the 1st service back in 2009! My Peugeot dealer told me to replace them when the pads went down to the metal! I now use an independent MOT centre who don't do repairs so I asked the tester about this last month. He agreed with Peugeot saying that provided there was no weakness in the discs and the car passed the brake test there was no reason to fail it.

My rear silencer hanger was also broken. If you leave it too long it will cause the back box to fall off so I'd get it done. My local repair centre were able to source a new hanger from Peugeot and fit for 40 quid which is a lot better than a new rear box!
Old 18-06-15, 08:27 PM   #5

A guy I used to work with had the worst looking scored discs I had ever seen and it passed the MOT without advisories. I guess there is that little bit more surface for the pads to work on once they have worn to match the scoring

If the overall thickness of the disc is above the minimum allowed and the brakes reach the standard required then there is no real reason to fail the test.

I replaced my discs as they were smooth enough but had worn quite badly. It was 'fun' trying to get the pads out past the lip on the edge of the discs.

To be honest, the price of new discs isn't very expensive and if you have any question as to them being fit for purpose you may as well replace them. An easy enough job as long as the retaining screws come out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-06-15, 10:21 PM   #6
Inactive User

Thanks for the heads up guys,I'm going to quiz the dealer regarding the pads worn 70% as they've supposed to have given the car a full service...am a little bewildered if honest as I'm probably going to have to get these done soon!!
Old 19-06-15, 02:12 AM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cips007 View Post
Thanks for the heads up guys,I'm going to quiz the dealer regarding the pads worn 70% as they've supposed to have given the car a full service...am a little bewildered if honest as I'm probably going to have to get these done soon!!
Yes I think that would be a good idea, if you have had a major service recently all the advise points should have flagged up, as has already been mentioned. I am very wary about brake discs as I have already caught one tyre house out trying to sell me discs and pads that weren't needed when the ones on the car were only two months old with less than 1000 miles on them. When I mentioned I wanted a report so I could sue the supplier they decided to have "another look" and surprise surprise they then said the ones on the vehicle weren't that bad after all. You didn't get the car MOT'd at a tyre house per chance?
Old 20-06-15, 10:38 AM   #8
Inactive User

No it was done at my local Peugeot dealers!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in