Knocking! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-18, 06:17 PM   #1

Default Knocking!

Hi guys,

Well my Peugeot 207 1.6 HDI 2006, is suffering with a knock at the front.

It’s had a knock ever since I’ve owned it, but seems to be slightly worse! I’ve changed both ARB droplinks and both lower ball joints, no change.

I would change the ARB bushes but they seem a nightmare to get too.

Could it possible be the engine mount? I put a crowbar between the engine and it was able to rock very easily from the top mount, but I thought if the mount was going it would shudder on acceleration?

I just have a knock which I can feel through the front of the car, mainly at low speeds over bumps.

Also, after changing the lower ball joints the steering wheel is no longer completely straight, is it just the tracking needed to resolve this?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by noddy-hol; 02-10-18 at 06:19 PM. Reason: moved to specific model
Nathd91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-18, 07:43 PM   #2

Have you checked strut top mounts these do fail on 207 as do inner track rod ends (not as common as top mounts)

Yes tracking may need doing likely after market ball joints/lower arms are slightly different dimensions strange as it very rare to affect wheel as it's normally only a slight amount.

Last edited by windy1603; 02-10-18 at 07:45 PM. Reason: More Info
windy1603 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-18, 07:50 PM   #3

Hi yes I’ve checked the top mounts of the struts, I’ve tried to rock them and they make no noise! It’s hard to explain, it knocks but when it knocks it feels like the handling goes lighter

Old 02-10-18, 08:50 PM   #4

Could be a faulty strut. There was a recall on 208's for a front end knock due to faulty shocks.

I would check strut tops again, jack up car and feel around top of strut. My daughters old 207cc got a slight knock, there did not appear to be any play but when i felt around strut top the out ring had started to fail on top mount bearing and shed a few balls. As i stripped the strut the top mount fell apart
Old 03-10-18, 08:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathd91 View Post
Could it possible be the engine mount? I put a crowbar between the engine and it was able to rock very easily from the top mount, but I thought if the mount was going it would shudder on acceleration?

Just a "thinking outside of the box" idea.....have you checked the torque engine mount at the bottom of the engine? It is the one that prevents it rocking.

I have a similar problem, in that the engine does "rotate" all too easily, and there is a knock from the front. However in my case the engine shudders a bit at idle. I am just about to replace that mount today.

Also - I have no issues with the steering going "light" as you describe. So this is why I am saying it is an "outside the box" idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tony
207cc GT 1.6Hdi 2007

******HZC33776133
Chirpycat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-18, 08:29 AM   #6

Thanks guys, think I’m going to start with the right engine mount and then see what happens from there.

I probably will do the torque mount too as it’s only 15, just looks difficult!
Old 03-10-18, 06:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathd91 View Post
Thanks guys, think I’m going to start with the right engine mount and then see what happens from there.

I probably will do the torque mount too as it’s only 15, just looks difficult!

Including putting the car on a pair of ramps, took me about 20 mins this morning to do the torque mount. It is easily accessible, just two 17mm bolts (in my case). Both nuts are "captive".

Real issue was lining it back up, I simply jacked up the front of the engine a bit until the holes lined up, and wiggled the bolt through. It seemed easier to do the back bolt first, then line the engine bracket up with the front of the torque bar using the jack.

One thing I did notice, where the engine has been rocking it has broken the exhaust mount brackets nearest the engine. Had to spend 5 mins doing a temp wire job on it. Will suffice until exhaust blows a hole and we have to replace it. I am certain that was the actual source of our knock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tony
207cc GT 1.6Hdi 2007

******HZC33776133

Last edited by Chirpycat; 04-10-18 at 09:06 AM.
Chirpycat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-18, 03:39 PM   #8

Well that’s the top right engine mount done, probably needed doing no engine movement at all but hasn’t stopped the knock!

I can’t really explain the knock, it feels as though it’s the driveshaft wobbling but I’ve checked it and it’s all secure...

I think next step is the rear lower engine mount for the sake of 15.

I have some lowering springs to go on, so may possibly get some new shocks front and rear, do I need a top strut mount kit too?
Old 08-10-18, 06:25 PM   #9

If you are stripping the struts just change the top mount bearing at the same time a lot cheaper than the whole top mount
Old 15-10-18, 01:10 PM   #10

Right new lowering springs on, new bearing on shock absorber and...

Knocking is still there...

That’s coil springs done, anti roll bars, lower ball joints, right engine mount done,, think I’m running out of options!

The knocking is only at low speed, cannot hear it otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in