Inlet valve comparison pictures after only 600 miles??? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-04-18, 11:45 AM   #1

Default Inlet valve comparison pictures after only 600 miles???

This is a picture of my valves after brand new replacement and only 600 miles driving. As you can see one inlet port is filthy again whereas the rest are still as new. What gives???? The dirty port is 2nd from left as you look from front of car
Attached Thumbnails
20180414_105751_1523702757072.jpg   20180414_105036_1523702811219.jpg  
Advertisement

Old 15-04-18, 10:41 AM   #2

Hi Si!
My money would be on combustion products leaking past the valves on that cylinder.

If the valves have just recently been replaced the culprit could be one of two possibilities:
1. Grinding in of the valves not done properly on fitting.
2. Cam follower mechanism not reassembled properly on that cylinder causing the valves not to close fully when they're supposed to.

I might ask the question of why you had the valves replaced. Was it because of blow-by on one of the cylinders? And if so, was it on that cylinder?
Equinox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-04-18, 01:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply! Great advice I can look into those. What happened was the garage did the timing chain incorrectly and it slipped on the motorway and completely smashed every single valve. So..... they had to rebuild it. But they reused the followers so could those followers maybe be slightly damaged?? It's funny though how it's both valves on that one inlet. If if was only one of them I'd say yeah it wasn't lapped in or maybe a crappy valve spring or something but as it's both it seems like this would be too big a coincidence??? Really scratching my head tbh lol.

Old 15-04-18, 08:08 PM   #4

Hi Si,

You read my mind exactly. If a valve had been poorly lapped it might be just one of the two that would be tarnished. But here we see both.

With a bent part in the cam follower mechanism it would affect the pair. And let's face it, these engines have a complicated mechanism with some fine tolerances going on.

Having heard your reasons for having the work done (ouch!) I think we know the prime suspect. Now, time to get it fixed...
Old 15-04-18, 08:34 PM   #5

The cam lobes on these engines can move , commonly after when the valves hit the pistons .
alex_walker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-04-18, 09:01 PM   #6

Do a leak down test, it will quickly tell if you have leakage past the valve seats.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-04-18, 09:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_walker View Post
The cam lobes on these engines can move , commonly after when the valves hit the pistons .
That sounds scary Alex! Are the lobes a press-fit onto the shaft then?
Old 15-04-18, 09:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
That sounds scary Alex! Are the lobes a press-fit onto the shaft then?
Yes, there a press fit, It would require checking for correct valve timing with a degree wheel
alex_walker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-04-18, 10:19 PM   #9

So if I was Si, my first plan would be Will's idea of a compression test to check the poorly lapped valves theory. Certainly the easiest thing to do.

I'm disturbed by the thought of a lobe turning on the shaft. I suppose you could compare the degrees BTDC that the inlets start opening on the good cylinders compared to that of the bad cylinder. I might use the following method:

I would insert a rod into a sparkplug hole until it touches the top of the piston. Turn the engine by hand until the inlet valves on the cylinder start to open and measure the length of the rod. The length should be the same on all four cylinders at the point when the inlet valves start to open. If the length is different on the bad cylinder then I would say the lobe had turned
Old 15-04-18, 10:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
So if I was Si, my first plan would be Will's idea of a compression test to check the poorly lapped valves theory. Certainly the easiest thing to do.
Not a compression test.. a leak-down test. Very different tests.

Compression test is not going to properly display leakage past valves, it is more of a broad brush type test to find more major compression problems. A leakage test will, as you are able to measure how much leakage each cylinder has and hear where leakage is coming from, by probing the various points on the engine.
Equinox likes this.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in