HELP!....1.4 Petrol losing power whilst being driven. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-12-12, 09:32 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default HELP!....1.4 Petrol losing power whilst being driven.

I need help / advice as i know diddly squate about cars and being completely honest, have had some very bad experiences form previous garages.

My partner has a 2009 plate 1.4 petrol Peugeot 207.

four months ago, we topped up the oil with the handbook recommended oil, the car then started to have the following problem.

When the engine was turned off after travelling, it sounded as the fan on the radiator was still running, creating a loud noise for approximately 15 minutes until it then stopped. This happened everytime after a journey.

We took it to Peugeout as it was still under warranty, they fixed it saying it was a sensor which was something to do with the oil, which the delears garage swapped for a new one.

we had no further problem for the following months untile last week!!

my partner noticed that when she accelerated the car appeared to be losing power, alomost to the point of stalling.

I took it for a drive and noticed nothing of any concern ( i thought it was they way she was driving it!)The oil light came on and , again it topped it up with the handbook reccommended oil.

Again the same issue arose with what appeared to be the fan on the radiator staying on for approximately 15 / 20 minutes after the engine was turned off.

The following day i used it to commute to work some 20 odd miles away, an emergency light came on stating "ANTI POLLUTION FAULTY" all the stats for mileage left in tank, MPG had dissapeared from the display board above the radio.

Then as i was plodding along at 30 MPH the car lost almost all its power and very nearly stalled. The happened 5 times on the 20 mile journey home, where my speed rarely exceeds 50MPH due to trafic enforcement.

Yesterday, after driving to relatives 2 miles form home, i noticed that when i turned off the engine the fan issue was still there yet there appeared to be a burning smell, albeit a very weak smell, coming frome the engine.

As i stated before, i have been bitten / ripped off by garages before and am weary of the estimated cost implications to solve these issues.

From my description could anyone give me an example, rough idea of what the issue is and the potential cost to put right!!??

Bloody typical that something like this comes along when the warranty has just expired!!

any help or advice would be gratefully recived.

thanks.
steve1884 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-12-12, 10:42 AM   #2
Inactive User

Trust me when I say I think this is a 200 max job but then again

I need your build number off your car. Its on a sticker in the door shut and is the top line of bold numbers starting 10,11..... or 12.....
MadV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-12-12, 10:46 AM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks madV

I will post shortly.
steve1884 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 26-12-12, 10:58 AM   #4
davidireland

The fan usually comes on as a symptom of the engine management being lit. Got a diagnostic check done. Your engine is a BMW one and can suffer from a few faults. Updating the engine ecu software cures alot of them.

Sent from my GT-S5690
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-12-12, 09:37 PM   #5
Inactive User

Im expecting that the build code will be before 12077 and if so replace the engine bay fusebox first making sure that there is no water in the fusebox connectors

Last edited by MadV; 26-12-12 at 09:41 PM.
Old 26-12-12, 09:40 PM   #6
davidireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadV View Post
Im expecting that the build code will be before 12077mand if so replace the engine bay fusebox first making sure that there is no water in the fusebox connectors
Im curious how you came to this conclusion? No fault codes or fault descriptions given!

Sent from my GT-S5690
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-12-12, 10:00 PM   #7
Inactive User

All A9 or 1.6HDi before 12077 had a fusebox which had a main relay not being man enough for the system. Oil pressure warning lamps or messages combined with stalling are a common fault. Oil pressure lights are nothing to do with the engine ecu which most people assume. They pass through the fusebox to the bsi and from past experience(9 to be precise) they cause a lot of problems. Most people just read the ECU codes but if they read all other system faults they will have a few CAN codes in them which are associate faults in a TSB which Peugeot produced on this problem. Modified ones are about 70 which is cheap(90 plus Vat labour charge my local dealer} and eliminates a known fault which causes problems which the faults on this car are suggesting

207s can suffer water ingress into the harness to from sensors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in