Headlights flashing erratically when engine running. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-15, 09:23 PM   #1
Inactive User

Unhappy Headlights flashing erratically when engine running.

HELLP!

I've just bought a 1.6 HDI 110 GT 207. Everything is perfect and was perfect!

However been using it for work and today come across a very odd thing. On the way to work the Headlights and dashboard started flashing erratically.

In Off or Auto mode the head lights just flash. All the backlights on the dash flash on and off. With then on Sidelights or Dipped beam setting they're fine and work fine!

With the Engine Off and in Auto or Zero the headlights are off as expected.
With the Engine On and in Auto or Zero the headlights flash erratically.
With the Engine On and in Sidelights or Dipped Beam the headlights are fine!

Don't seem to have any other problems. Everything works fine. Engine starts and runs fine!

I've plugged Peugeot Planet in and done a full diag but nothing shows as a fault....

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Bad Battery, Bad alternator?

Youtube video here that I uploaded to make it a little more easier than explaining...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQKxBd9zq8c

Last edited by 207Jay; 07-09-15 at 09:57 PM.
207Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-15, 10:14 PM   #2
Inactive User

I'd say you've got a bad ground point somewhere, other a loose connection or a dirty connection
joe366 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-15, 11:24 PM   #3

If Auto and Off behave exactly the same then I would suspect the switch is faulty.
eyemdee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-15, 08:39 AM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe366 View Post
I'd say you've got a bad ground point somewhere, other a loose connection or a dirty connection
I initially thought it could be earth, but would it work perfectly when on Dipped beam?

This flickering issue only occurs in Auto or Off. There actually isn't anyway to turn them fully off at the moment. Either have to have them on Side Light or Dipped Beam to stop them flashing.
Old 08-09-15, 09:48 AM   #5

Possibly an issue with the Comm unit. With the car started how does it behave if you wiggle the stalk with the lighting controls on when in Auto mode? If you move the stalk or turn the lighting control ring and it seems to cause the lights to come on then I would say it's the Comm until or switch problem (lights on usually triggers the dash lights anyway depending on the ambient light).
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-15, 09:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 207Jay View Post
HELLP!

I've just bought a 1.6 HDI 110 GT 207. Everything is perfect and was perfect!

However been using it for work and today come across a very odd thing. On the way to work the Headlights and dashboard started flashing erratically.

In Off or Auto mode the head lights just flash. All the backlights on the dash flash on and off. With then on Sidelights or Dipped beam setting they're fine and work fine!

With the Engine Off and in Auto or Zero the headlights are off as expected.
With the Engine On and in Auto or Zero the headlights flash erratically.
With the Engine On and in Sidelights or Dipped Beam the headlights are fine!

Don't seem to have any other problems. Everything works fine. Engine starts and runs fine!

I've plugged Peugeot Planet in and done a full diag but nothing shows as a fault....

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Bad Battery, Bad alternator?

Youtube video here that I uploaded to make it a little more easier than explaining...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQKxBd9zq8c
sounds like comms unit to me, if its a comm 2005 then you need another unit if its a comm 2003 delphi then it can be repaired
Old 08-09-15, 10:01 AM   #7
Inactive User

Smile

Engine off Ignition on everything works as expected. Auto mode and Off mode the lights are off. Side and Dipped beam work fine. No flashing!

Its only when the engine is running that I get issues. No matter what I do, buttons I press In Auto or Off the lights just flickr.

The dash flickering is a result of the backlight coming on and off with the headlights.

But again even with the Engine running in Side Lights or Dipped beam the lights work fine!

Where is the Comm unit and is it something I can replace myself?

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-09-15, 10:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 207Jay View Post
Engine off Ignition on everything works as expected. Auto mode and Off mode the lights are off. Side and Dipped beam work fine. No flashing!

Its only when the engine is running that I get issues. No matter what I do, buttons I press In Auto or Off the lights just flickr.

The dash flickering is a result of the backlight coming on and off with the headlights.

But again even with the Engine running in Side Lights or Dipped beam the lights work fine!

Where is the Comm unit and is it something I can replace myself?

Thanks for the replies.
the comms unit it the indicator/light/wiper switch. it requires you to take off the drivers airbag and steering wheel
Old 08-09-15, 11:21 AM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
the comms unit it the indicator/light/wiper switch. it requires you to take off the drivers airbag and steering wheel

Ok Thanks, I'll have a look into it. If I can get a replacement cheap enough i'll just do that as a first point to trial.

It's an annoying issue as I can't actually figure out what would cause it. It's perfect flash to be a loose connection or earth. And all works perfect in Dipped beam mode!
Old 08-09-15, 02:46 PM   #10

The Haynes manual says you only have to remove the steering column upper and lower shrouds to access the switch wiring connector. Why not just disconnect the switch and then start the engine? If the lights don't flash then it surely proves the switch is faulty.
eyemdee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in