Head Gasket - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-15, 01:21 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Head Gasket

About 10 weeks ago I had the head gasket replaced with timing belt etc. The warranty way 1000 mile or 3 months. I have done 1600 mile and now the warranty as expired.

I think the head gasket as gone again. The first time I was getting oil in the coolant. But now I have no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. But I still loose some coolant. If i slowly release the rad cap, the coolant rises and would over flow. But If I screw the cap back down, then start the engine the coolant goes back down. If I do this every time after a journey I dont seem to loose any coolant. But If i dont then I loose coolant.

also from cold ie first start up of the day, the engine hesitates on picking up fro a gear change or if I put my foot down. It only does this for about a mile till warm

Any help would be great thanks
tiptornado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-15, 02:40 PM   #2

Coolant expands as it gets hot which explains why the level rises when you take the cap off. I had a similar experience a while ago with constantly getting low coolant warnings and having to keep topping up. I replaced the expansion bottle cap and it's been fine ever since. I suspected a faulty pressure release valve in the cap was allowing the coolant to vent at too low a pressure and as it is now ok I guess I was right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-15, 03:44 PM   #3

Yep there are many reasons for coolant loss and head gasket is only 1 possibility to be fair if it has done 1600 miles and was fine its probably something else causing the collant loss as if the gasket was badly done it would have shown pretty quickly.

Check all your coolant pipes for signs of seapage and as storeman says the caps can leak under pressure.

Water pump is a possibility too if it was not done when the gasket was done or belt was tensioned too much.

Old 10-04-15, 05:43 PM   #4
Inactive User

Thank you for your replies
I did have the water pump changed and timing belt at the sane time as doing the head gasket. I think it may have been loosing coolant since I had the work done. But could never get time to get it checked out.

I have also changed the thermostat and the casing thing that the the thermostat fits to. New temp sensor. I have the pink coloured coolant it.

My temp gauge shows normally at 90 to just over and at times the fan cuts in.

I have done 160 mile the last 2 days and not lost any coolant. But I could go out tomorrow and only do 10 mile and loose half pint of coolant. New RAD cap the new shape style

Last edited by tiptornado; 10-04-15 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-04-15, 08:48 PM   #5

i would first rule out hg, either get a sniff or one of those chemical colour change tests, then if there are no exhaust gasses in coolant it must be a leak/airlock.
i mentioned in other thread i found 3, small one in rad, header tank lower pipe (only showed up when wriggling it hot engine)
and a pinhole leak in header tank (only spotted when releasing the pressure, high pressure sealed it)

did it overheat when the hg went? did they skim the head?
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-15, 09:06 PM   #6
Inactive User

It's never overheated, once I did undo the rad cap and has the coolant rushed up, I noticed bubbles rushing up also.
It's the first Peugeot ive ever had, and it's the first time i have had trouble with a car
Old 10-04-15, 09:07 PM   #7
Inactive User

I did have the head skimmed.
Old 11-04-15, 09:07 AM   #8
Inactive User

Checked your radiator?

They rot on bottom edge

Also check expansion bottle for cracks and hose going into it.... Both of which have been modified on 207, I know this because I have a customer who ive had to replace a cracked expansipn bottle on and it was different... As well as the hose connecting to it because end wasn't sealing properly. And that was different as well.
Click4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-15, 01:36 PM   #9

I would be getting a sniff test done on coolant, If the head gasket was done correctly and you did not ask them to cut corners such as by not crack testing head etc, I would be looking at small claims and trading standards as the repair is substandard. 1000m or 3 months warranty is inadequate for a proper repair.
Old 11-04-15, 08:26 PM   #10
Inactive User

Thanks for your help. I have been told today that head gasket is at fault. On my invoice from having the HG done before, it does state 1000 mile or 3 months. Do you really think that the warrenty is inadequate. I paid 550 for the work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in