A few questions about a Peugeot 207 1.4 VTI - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stripe88

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-19, 09:33 PM   #1

Default A few questions about a Peugeot 207 1.4 VTI

Dear members of Peugeot Forums:
I am considering to buy a Peugeot 207 1.4 VTI (95 CV) "Urban Move", year 2008, with just 103.000 km (I live in Germany). The car seems to be very fine, but there are a few concerns and I would like to hear the opinion of former users / experts.

1- I am aware of the common head gasket problem of those engines, so I checked the coolant and looked for oil leaks. The coolant seemed to be fine, its colour was light orange, very clear and transparent, without any clear sign of oil (I guess that should be easy to identify given that the oil is non transparent). But I found some oil or grease (a black sticky substance which could be removed with paper) just in the union between the engine block (silver colour) and the engine head (above, completely black, with a small plastic cover I think). There was no oil nor grease on the exhaust manifold nor near the alternator. Can this be an early sign of the head gasket problem?

2- I am also aware of the problem related to water getting into the ECU through one of the plugs. I tried to pull off the plug nearest to the front of the car but I couldn't figure out how to move the plastic lock it has. The three plugs were tied together quiet tightly, too, so I don't know if I can pull off just one. Can anyone tell me with more details how to do this? Additionally, the plastic cover of the battery and the ECU were absent and I saw some black isolating type like tape on the back plug. Could those be signs of someone messing around with the ECU before?

3- Finally, the maintenance history of the car has a hole in the middle, literally. There are seals in the service book for a service at 30.000 km and another one at 91.000 km (in June 2018). There are no invoices nor anything related to some service in the middle. How dangerous can this be?

Today I could not test it because of external reasons, but I did an appointment to test it next Friday, although I am not sure if it is worth it. The bodywork is in excellent shape, the interior has just some very normal wear signs, it has good tyres (Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons) with still 5-6 mm of depth and the dealer offers a 1 year warranty on engine and gearbox, that is why I am still considering it. What do you think.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Best regards,
Alejo.
anr94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-19, 07:31 AM   #2

Hi the classic head gasket oil leak on these rarely affects the coolant. In fact people live with it for years. But I wouldn't buy a car from a dealer with this unless it was really cheap and you knew you could fix it. .
It cost me a lot of time, over a week, and about 150 just in parts and tools to fix on my 207 1.4 2006 model. You could do it cheaper, but its a lot of time.

You will notice oil dribbling from a forward corner of the engine block the cars righthand side just above the exhaust manifold.

The electrical fault... that's expensive and if you suspect fiddling I wouldnt touch it.
However some black tape is normal on the wires at least it is with my car! A battery cover missing is probably meaningless though. You want to have a look at the fusebox to see if water has got in. The ecu is under the fusebox. There are a few youtube videos on it. If there is no sign of water damage to the fusebox and everything electrical works on the test drive It's likely ok.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited by muscleriot; 04-10-19 at 07:46 AM.
muscleriot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-19, 09:15 AM   #3

think its mostly the non vti that suffers from HG
Pulling the plugs is easy, press the little tab on the swing arm,the swing arm will then pull up and pull the plug out at the same time. make sure plugs are straight and level when putting back on or you may bend a pin.
muscleriot likes this.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in