Fan issue, need advice please - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-03-18, 05:41 PM   #1

Default Fan issue, need advice please

Hi all,

A friend is having issues with her 207, and I'm not entirely convinced at what she is being told by her garage.

Car is a 2010 207 1.4 VTi 16v 85bhp (servicebox checked).

Every time she unlocks the car, the engine fan starts up! This is also accompanied (possibly connected, possibly not) with the air conditioning not working.

The car is well looked after. A mobile mechanic could find no fault at all, so my friend took it to her other regular garage, who are saying they want to send the ecu off to be checked, intimating that the engine believes it is too hot. The temperature gauge works exactly as intended, so I believe the thermostat is operating correctly.

My feeling is that this is electrical rather than ecu, but I admit I've never worked on a 207 so am hoping that somebody here may be able to advise? I've read posts on 407's having relays which control both the fan and the a/c, is this also true on the 207?

Any ideas gratefully received - I'd hate for her to spend 100 getting the ecu checked, and potentially another 500 getting a new one, if its as simple as a relay!

Thanks,
Rog.
ror100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-03-18, 06:10 PM   #2

First check would be the under bonnet fuse box they can get water in them from rain leaks and/or coolant or washer fluid travelling up the wire and corroding the internals and cause lots of issues
Old 28-03-18, 06:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy1603 View Post
First check would be the under bonnet fuse box they can get water in them from rain leaks and/or coolant or washer fluid travelling up the wire and corroding the internals and cause lots of issues
Will it be obvious if its water damaged? Sorry to ask - I only get to see the car once a day when we have lunchbreak. This thread may run and run.

Old 28-03-18, 07:11 PM   #4

check fusebox and ecu plugs, pull battery lead first.

try bsi reset?
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-03-18, 08:38 PM   #5

ECU does not control the fan or a/c. Typical of idiots to blame the ECU when they dont have a clue.

Problem is most likely a bad connection somewhere as stated above. Apart from checking fuse box and bsi connections and fuses, go through all loom ground connections and main grounding points. Dont just look but remove, clean lightly grease and replace. Also check that connector pins are not bent/broken etc.

Oh, and get the battery thoroughly checked/load tested as a weakened battery can cause all sorts of issues/electrical gremlins.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-03-18, 11:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillNZ View Post
ECU does not control the fan or a/c. Typical of idiots to blame the ECU when they dont have a clue.

Problem is most likely a bad connection somewhere as stated above. Apart from checking fuse box and bsi connections and fuses, go through all loom ground connections and main grounding points. Dont just look but remove, clean lightly grease and replace. Also check that connector pins are not bent/broken etc.

Oh, and get the battery thoroughly checked/load tested as a weakened battery can cause all sorts of issues/electrical gremlins.
Thanks everyone for your help. It makes me feel better that my gut feeling is more in the right direction rather than the garage.

First plan tomorrow is to pull the battery and check that fusebox, and have a general look over the car, it'll be the first look from me. Will report back with any news.
Old 28-03-18, 11:29 PM   #7

Before disconnecting battery DON'T forget to put BSI to sleep.....

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...e-rule-293106/
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-03-18, 05:51 PM   #8

If Every time she unlocks the car, the engine fan starts up!, it mean that there is engine troubles - check it for errors by any tools like FAP, or PP2000
veronov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-18, 06:48 PM   #9

Will I checked all over, fuse box shows no sign of water ingress, and got to as many earthing points as I could with no change. The garage who said it was ECU have noted a fault (but will not disclose the code) showing a short on the fan control switch. I'm taking a punt and have ordered a new resistor for the fan unit 1267 J6.

I know it's a punt, but its only 30 for a genuine part. there aren't that many parts on this circuit to go wrong in the first place :P

I have a gut feeling, and my gut is usually pretty good. I know I'm not mechanic, but I'm a good DIY'er - have been self helping on my cars for 16 years now.
Old 01-04-18, 10:18 PM   #10

It is good if you have solved it.
Can you provide me a synonym to the word 'punt'. That is probably a thermal fuse, is it?
veronov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in