Exhaust Problem - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-07-17, 10:07 AM   #1

Default Exhaust Problem

Have a 2008 207 1.4 vti. Exhaust backbox fell off about 6 months ago...replaced...everything fine until last couple of weeks car is very noticeably louder making a deep noise.

Took to F1 auto centre - Told exhaust not blowing and everything looked ok. Only explanation they could offer to the sound was that the baffles in the backbox had maybe gone and to revisit the garage who fitted it and ask if they could replace under warranty.

Took to Halfords yesterday (just out of curiosity) - 'Your CAT has gone and will be 650 to replace' i asked what made them say this and he said it was blowing slightly and there was a rotten egg smell (i cant smell anything).

Today i've got an appointment with the local independent garage who fitted the backbox. Is there anyway to prove backbox has faltered without paying them to take it apart etc.?

Or any other suggestions how i can diagnose what is wrong?

Cheers
scoey1001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-07-17, 06:31 PM   #2

I've had back box exhaust baffles fail on a Peugeot 306Gti6 I had years ago. There was a rattling noise from the back box and I could cause it to rattle by knocking my hand against the back box with the engine stopped. There was a change in exhaust note and it was slightly louder than normal too.

I think before paying for a catalytic converter replacement I'd be wanting the car to go through an MoT test where they will check for holes and failed joints and also test the emissions to see if the cat is working correctly.

Let us know how you got on.
mattalsop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-07-17, 06:35 PM   #3

The cat is on its way out. It is blowing and the joints have come away. He said I could it but eventually it would get worse fall apart etc. and obviously too loud to drive. 400 all in to replace.

Gutted I've spent over 1500 in repairs on this car in just over 12 months. Don't really know what I'll do next tbh.

Old 27-07-17, 06:37 PM   #4

Car can pass emissions without cat working in some cases so thats not conclusive any holes will affect overall emissions too so it could have a working cat AND fail !!

The noise must be coming from somewhere go somewhere else that is not a fast fit style outlet they are all sales orientated and get a proper answer.

As for paying the original garage to fix it this really depends on what is wrong if the exhaust they fitted is faulty then it should be a warranty issue
Old 27-07-17, 06:48 PM   #5

Hi this was the original garage I went to tonight and they showed me where the cat had broken at the joint. They only fitted a backbox previously.
Old 27-07-17, 08:30 PM   #6

yes you can get some bad welding on the join, we had a small hole but just dabbed a weld on.

i also noticed new backbox sounded like blowing, was just because it was new, all good now.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-07-17, 09:08 PM   #7

Hi mate yes the plan is to take it to a family friend to see if he can weld it. Mechanic said it couldn't be welded but here's hoping. Just want shut of it asap it's been a money pit from day 1.
Old 28-07-17, 10:45 AM   #8

and even if its gone i wouldnt be paying that much, i put a aftermarket on a mondeo about 5 years ago and still going strong today.
see they are around 120 on ebay and should be diy if you have the gasket and clamp.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-07-17, 10:51 AM   #9

Yes agree mate I saw one on eBay yesterday myself at 133 but wasn't 100% it was the right one. Will probably get one of these if it can't be welded. The noise at the moment isn't too loud just noticeable from what it was. Not sure how long this will last though.
Old 28-07-17, 01:05 PM   #10
kip
Inactive User

Need to keep an eye on those rear exhaust brackets. You can't buy them separately so most places say you have to fit a whole new backbox when just the bracket fails. Not true. Go on ebay next time and look for 207 rear exhaust bracket, it is such a common problem that some companies custom make these brackets.

This is what I did years ago when a 3 year old 207SW bracket rusted through and almost snapped clean in two. All I had to do was take the old one off (support the exhaust with a jack stand or something) remove the rubber bit and fit that to the new bracket, refit to car and paint with some Halfords very high temperature black paint to keep the rust off the new one. The old bracket actually did snap in two shortly after removing it.
Tomcat likes this.
kip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in