Peugeot Forums banner

ESP/ASR + Directional Headlamp Issues

7K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Sofiane 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi There
My wife and I are new to the forum.

I have searched the forums but can’t find anything that quite matches – apologies if I have missed some thread.

Two days ago we purchased a;

207cc GT 1.6HDi 110bhp
Registered March 2007
101,000k – 2 previous lady owners
Vin *******ZC33776133

We bought it with a couple of faults, but managed to get £400 off an already very reasonable asking price. The previous owner said that the car had been standing for 3 weeks, and when she started it the night before we viewed both the indicated faults turned up. I have no reason to disbelieve her.

Fault 1) When you turn on the ignition a warning is given in the central display saying;

“Directional Headlamps Faulty”

This happens whether the system is activated in the menus, or not.

Fault 2) When you start her up, we get a warning in the central display saying;

“ESP/ASR Fault”

This goes away but leaves the ESP warning triangle in the smaller LCD panel in the binnacle and also the ESP switch has its light on. Pressing the switch results in a warning beep and the same ESP fault message in the central display.

Clearly the car is running with this system off.

Since both faults appeared at the same time my logic suggests they are related (but this is Peugeot electronics LOL).

The other clue I found is that you can switch on the cruise control and get the symbol in the small binnacle LCD, but when you try and activate cruise control by pressing the + or – button on the stalk, nothing happens and the display steadfastly remains at “--“ for speed.

Following the car, I noted the brake lights are fine, and it drives and brakes fine, though I haven’t tired ABS. There is no other warning such as ABS. I have checked all the relevant fuses, except the Maxi fuses. Battery is charged and has good output (straight voltmeter – not load tested, but battery is only 2 months old). I have also tried a "dirty" ECU reset, but disconnecting battery for 30mins. (Gone thru window and central locking re-initialisation)

My logic suggests that both the ESP/ASR system, and directional headlamps, need both steering and speed inputs, so I suspect one of those sensors (not even sure where the steering sensor is?)

Introducing the cruise issue, suggest to me a speed sensor on one of the wheels, but I raise an eyebrow as I would suspect this would also show as an ABS fault?

Thanks for your time everyone
(PS Is this too much info or not enough?)

See less See more
#2 ·
You need to get the codes read to be 100%. As you say could be steering angle sensor or similar fault which could give these errors.

If there is a ABS or ESP fault then cruise is disabled by default

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#3 · (Edited)
OK - thanks, great info - that the cruise is disabled (sensibly I guess) by default, then that answers one part of the equation.

I haven't a Planet (as yet) but do not want to take to a Dealer as I am fairly certain that they will tell me it is some £800 box of tricks, even if it is a £10 sensor.

PS Bike looks mighty fine Windy!

#4 ·
Hmmmmmm.......dichotomy - whether to be GRRRRRRR or pleased!

Nina has just reported that about two miles into her 35mile journey to work, she noticed the ESP warning triangle wasn't there and she could switch the system on and off as normal. It remained that way for rest of journey.

She is not sure whether it presented when she first started as she was a bit distracted, so I don't know if headlamp issue was there or not. She is going to see what it does when she comes home tonight.

I am beginning to wonder if it is a slightly discharged battery as I noticed when fiddling yesterday it dropped into "Economy Mode" very quickly - maybe 5 mins after engine stop. I am wondering if battery charge is coming up, or a slightly faulty battery. I have a spare - so that is an option.

Or maybe an intermittent sensor or loose connection?

Or maybe just a Pug electrical gremlin? Zut alors!

Though there is nothing worse than an intermittent electrical fault, I hope this is the last I see of this particular error.

I will keep updated as the battery info may be useful to someone.

#5 ·
Could be the battery may also have been a temp fault from standing. Often temp faults will clear after 3-5 journeys if fault is not logged again

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#6 · (Edited)
update on this...

Really confused....(not difficult frankly)

Nina reported issue went away on way to work yesterday morning as said above. We had also noted another fault with the car, which didn't bother us, in that the "auto dimming rear view mirror" wasn't working (no green light no matter what you did with the switch). Yesterday she said on the way to work she suddenly noticed the green light as "on" on the mirror, and noticed at the same time the ESP/ASR fault had disappeared. I hadn't tied the two together until she said that.

However, when she came to come home, all the faults reappeared when she started the car (ESP/ASR, Directional headlamps, mirror not working). This is how it stayed all the way home. We went out briefly again last night and all the faults steadfastly stayed there. I did a battery check and it was fine, and the car is putting out 13.9 to 14v whilst running (read via OBDii socket).

Then this morning, when she started the car for work, all the faults had gone, no directional headlamp issue, no ESP/ASR and the rear view mirror light was "on". She has just reported that she got 22 miles into her journey and suddenly the car beeped, and all the faults returned (ESP/ASR, Directional Headlamps and rear view mirror) and stayed there until journeys end.

I am a bit flummoxed - there is a fuse (already checked), in the glove box, (F4 I think, 10 amp) which runs amongst other things, dipping mirror, steering position sensor, OBD2 socket power, and one or two other bits. The fuse was fine. Though I can't help but think the problems somehow relate back to this? Even with the fault showing, the OBDii has power, and the other systems besides the three faulting systems, on that fuse also work. This is all really odd? I am fairly sure the ESP and Directional headlamps are showing faults because they are not getting inputs from the steering angle sensor, and that the sensor is sending reports because it has no power, but the issue is why? I don't think it is the sensor itself as it wouldn't involve the mirror, so I assume it is power to sensor (and therefore also the mirror), but I am left guessing as to why certain systems on the fuse work, and others don't?

I guess the question is does the power coming out of the fuse branch, and if so is there a branch that includes just the mirror and steering angle sensor? Could this be the case or is this just me talking rubbish?

Another possible clue, but probably completely unrelated, is that the car has seat heater switches on both seats, these appear to do nothing, and are simply not mentioned anywhere in handbook, even as an option (the car is full leather btw). Maybe they are simply unused switches for a higher model, or maybe their "in-operation" is related? Though I can't believe seat heaters would run off a "shared" 10 amp fuse, I would expect them to be 20 or 30 amps.

If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful!

#7 · (Edited)
ESP/Directional Headlamps SOLVED

After getting an ESP Fault, along with a Directional Headlamps fault, at the same time the auto dipping rear view mirror showing no power, and the cruise control not working I had come to the conclusion the Steering Angle Sensor was faulty. This is in the COMMS 2005 unit behind the steering wheel.

This originated as an intermittent fault, but quickly became a permanent feature.

After some searching, and taking the car to my friend, who owns a garage, we put the car on a Delphi Diag, and the following faults came up.

Not surprisingly U1105 - Absence of comms from the Steering Angle Sensor (seeming to confirm it was the Comms 2005 unit)

Also P0704 Clutch switch - no signal which I assumed was related to the non functioning cruise

P1435 Additive system valve signal received by Can network incorrect - assumed to be a "one off".

Damn nuisance because a new or refurbished Comm2005 is fairly expensive, and difficult to source (in that you have to get exact part number), though I did find someone on Ebay in Manchester who does repairs on them. That info might be useful to someone one day?

I had already checked fuse F4 in glovebox fusebox, as that fed Coms 2005, Mirror and OBD2. It looked fine, and I reseated it a couple of times. Anyhow it was clear to me the OBD2 socket is working even with fault apparent. Also the fault was intermittent originally, so it couldn't possibly be a fuse! :rolleyes:

However I was looking through Pug workshop manual trying to trace a heated seat fault when I happened across the glovebox fusebox again.

F4 was listed as Clutch switch, Dipping Mirror, Additive system valve, steering angle sensor, and OBD2.

These are all systems that had failed! Except OBD2, but then I noticed that also appears on another fuse (not sure if it is alternate, or redundancy?). This could/would explain why OBD2 still functioned?

Clutch switch would explain Cruise control, and the others are self explanatory.

Also the Diag had come up with the Additive valve fault - so surely this had to be connected to this F4 fuse!

I took out the fuse and put it on a continuity tester, fine, until I moved it, then I realized it must have had a hairline fracture, because I could make, or break, the circuit simply by moving it.

A new fuse was slotted in and BINGO - no more ESP or Directional Headlamp faults, cruise works, as does mirror!

So what I thought was going to be £100's (and is how I managed to knock a similar amount off of car purchase price) it turns into £0 - result!

So Fault:

Directional Headlamp warning in General Display, followed by ESP Warning when you start her up.

Cruise not working - can switch on, but won't accept a speed setting.

No green telltale lamp on dipping mirror.

If you look for codes and you also get the

P1435 Additive system valve error. (Big clue in this case)

Then take a look at fuse F4.

I have learnt the "hard" way never rely on a visual inspection of a fuse, test the thing, or replace it anyway. I could have so easily bought a new Comms 2005 unit for nothing.

What else have I learnt? Directional headlamps are a waste of time LOL, and that I still can't find the problem with the heated seats LOL (Different post I suspect).

Hope this helps someone

#10 · (Edited)
Esp

You certainly seem to know what you're doing so you look like the man to get info from
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

LOL, hardly, I'm just a self taught person, where a little knowledge is a dangerous thing! There are people on here with vastly more experience and understanding, and way better qualified.

(Though I did build, maintain and set-up my wife's race car, so I am pretty proud of that, but it is done by string, cable ties, and a lot of bumbling LOL - I am not a mechanic)

Our fault was an ESP fault, not ABS. They are two separate, but related, systems. ABS - Antilock Braking System, ESP - Electronic Stability Program (I think that's the acronym).

If yours is ESP - then:

A quick check to see if your ESP fault to be connected with the fuse is to check the dipping rear view mirror (if you have one). If it is not "on" (green tell tale not illuminated) whilst the ESP fault is apparent, it might be the fuse.

The fuse is F4 - it is a 10amp in the fuse box by the glove compartment. It is a bit fiddly to get to. Hope this helps and you solve your problem.

#18 ·
Hi there,

I appreciate that the last time some one posted here regarding issue with Directional Headlamp Fault was back in September 2018 so i hope I can get some help on this...

I only have Directional Headlamp Fault come up when you make your 1st right turn every time you start the car.

Is this an easy fix as just checking the fuse?

PS: all bulbs are working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.